- 1 Contact Info
- 2 Education
- 3 Career Interests and Goals
- 4 Current Research
- 5 Work Experience
- 6 Involvement
- 7 Interests
- 8 Favorite aspect of Biology
- 9 Favorite aspect of Math
- 10 Biology 388 Assignments
- 11 Acknowledgements
- 12 References
Ava Lekander Loyola Marymount University 1 LMU Drive Los Angeles, CA 90045
Loyola Marymount University: Seaver College of Science and Engineering
- Minor: Jewish Studies
- Expected graduation Date: May 2019
- Upper Division Life Sciences Courses:
- Biology 361 & 362: Microbiology & Lab
- Chemistry 370 & 371: Biochemistry & lab
- Biology 398: Biostatistical Analysis
- Biology 388: Biomathematical Modeling
- Biology 449: Immunology
- Biology 311: Plant Interactions
- Biology 474: Principles of Evolution
- Biology 398: Vertebrate Field Biology + Lab
- Biology 359: Cell Biology Lab
Career Interests and Goals
Deeply passionate about women's healthcare and international accessibility to safe procedures.
- Through an internship as a UCLA Medical Center Care Extender, I have had the privilege to observe both cesarean sections as well as vaginal births through which my interest in pursuing a career in obstetrics was solidified.
- Additionally interned in the following departments at Ronald Reagan Hospital: Emergency Room, Medical Intensive Care Unit, Pediatrics department, and 8West post-operations unit.
- Complementation of the transporter mutants BamC and Abc transporter
- Dr. Michelle Lum
Teachers Assistant: Genetics
- Loyola Marymount University College of Science and Engineering
- January 2019- May 2019
- Responsible for holding tutoring sessions throughout the week as well as grading and proctoring exams at the professors request.
- William H. Hannon Library; Los Angeles, California
- April 2018- Present
- I currently work at the circulation desk assisting patrons with book checkout, as well as answering and helping with any possible questions.
Field Technician at ITS Operating
- Loyola Marymount Classroom Support; Los Angeles, California
- June 2017- August 2018
- Assisted professors and events with technology setup and equipment
Loyola Marymount Marians Service Organization member
- February 2017- Present
- 30 hour service requirement per semester plus attending meetings each week and mandatory events.
- Held the Executive board position of Special Projects Chair (December 2017-December 2018)
Alternative Breaks Program Trip Participant: Belize 2019 with the Center for Service and Action at LMU
- September 2018- May 2019
- Traveling to Belize in the spring in order to learn about community health education. LMU offers various alternative break trips to both local and national locations and students chosen to attend are expected to attend monthly pre-trip meetings and formulate a post-trip action plan to create change locally within the LMU/LA community.
UCLA Medical Center Care Extender
- March 2017-Present
- 400+ hours volunteering and shadowing in the following departments: Labor and Delivery, Pediatrics, Emergency Room, Medical Intensive Care Unit, and 8West Post-operations unit.
- Served two rotations as a Department Coordinator Assistant in which I was responsible for conducting sweeps of various units to ensure other care extenders were present and on task.
- Women's Healthcare and reproductive justice
- Skiing back home in Alaska
- Barre fitness classes
- Tennis, although I rarely play anymore I was at one time ranked as high as 15th in the girls 18 and under in the PNW and won both State and Regional singles titles in 2015 and 2016.
Favorite aspect of Biology
- I enjoy Biology and chose to major in it for fact that there are always questions that remain unanswered and ideas are constantly evolving. This is unique to certain subjects such as Biology and the sciences which I appreciate.
Favorite aspect of Math
- I enjoy the objectivity of math because in life there are many subjective opinions and sometimes a clear, singular answer is a breath of fresh air.
Biology 388 Assignments
- Template: Ava Lekander
- User Page: Ava Lekander
- Journal Entries:
- Assignment Pages:
- Class Journal Pages:
- Biology 388 Home Page: BIOL 388 Class Page
I worked with my homework partner Sahil Patel in class.
Dr. Dahlquist provided additional help after class.
Dahlquist, K. & Fitzpatrick, B.G. (2019, January). BIOL388/S19:Week 1. BIOL 388-01: Biomathematical Modeling MATH 388-01: Survey of Biomathematics Loyola Marymount University. Retrieved from https://openwetware.org/wiki/BIOL388/S19:Week_1