AVM BIOL368 Week 2
The purpose of this assignment was to find an amino acid sequence that corresponded with a true breeding purple flower.
Method and Results
- Protocol followed: Part III: Molecular Biology
- Click on the tab in Aipotu labeled "Molecular Biology"
- Under "Greenhouse" choose flower Green-2, note that one allele is gene and the other is yellow.
- Click the tab "Compare" and choose "Upper vs. Lower", the results are pictured below.
- Repeat the compare tab for the Green-1, Red and White flowers. Results of changes in sequences pictured below.
- Compare two different White Flowers (not all white alleles have the same DNA sequence). Results below.
- Make the protein: MLVKEIAMYRFATHER and click "Fold Protein"
- Note that this creates a purple flower
- Click "Enter New DNA" in the lower gene window and repeat the same sequence
- Results pictured below
- Compare the upper and lower sequences for the purple flower to prove that it is pure-breeding. Results below.
- It was found that the starting flowers: Green-1, Green-2, Red and White all had the amino acid sequence beginning with: MetSerAsnArgHisIleLeuLeuVal. Each sequence varied there after.
- The true-breeding purple flower had the amino acid sequence of N-MetLeuValLysGluIleAlaMetTyrArgPheAlaThrHisGluArg-C which varied quite a bit more than the other colors.
- It was also noted that there was the ability to breed flowers with the colors yellow, orange, black and blue as well.
- It was found that mutations occurred in the DNA sequences of many of the white flowers and if the promoter and terminator sequences were affected.
- Worked in collaboration with Isai_Lopez and Matthew Oki
- Template followed from week 2 assignment BIOL368/F16
- We had help from our professor, Dr. Dahlquist in class as well to complete this assignment.
- Collaborated with Biochemistry group member Mia Huddleston while determining the amino acid sequence
Note: While I worked with the people noted above, this individual journal entry was completed by me and not copied from another source.
Avery Vernon-Moore 01:13, 7 September 2016 (EDT)
- Website used: Aipotu
- All images and information were created using the Aipotu application
Assignment 1 Assignment 2 Assignment 3 Assignment 4 Assignment 5 Assignment 6 Assignment 7 Assignment 8 Assignment 9 Assignment 10 Assignment 11 Assignment 12 Assignment 14 Assignment 15
"Week 1: Create Wiki Page" Individual Journal 2 Individual Journal 3 Individual Journal 4 Individual Journal 5 Individual Journal 6 Individual Journal 7 Individual Journal 8 Individual Journal 9 Individual Journal 10 Individual Journal 11 Individual Journal 12 No Week 13 Assignment Individual Journal 14 Individual Journal 15