This journal entry is due on Tuesday, October 18 at midnight PDT (Monday night/Tuesday morning). NOTE that the server records the time as Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). Therefore, midnight will register as 03:00.
There will not be an individual journal assignment for this week; there will only be a shared journal assignment, which will count for 13 points.
- Store your journal entry in the shared BIOL368/F16:Class Journal Week 7 page. If this page does not exist yet, go ahead and create it.
- Link to the shared journal entry from your user page; this should be part of your template.
- Link the shared journal page to this assignment page.
- Sign your portion of the journal with the standard wiki signature shortcut (
- Add the "BIOL368/F16" category to the end of the wiki page (if someone has not already done so).
- Aspinall, P. J. (2005). The operationalization of race and ethnicity concepts in medical classification systems: issues of validity and utility. Health Informatics Journal, 11(4), 259-274. DOI: 10.1177/1460458205055688
- Bodenreider, O., & Stevens, R. (2006). Bio-ontologies: current trends and future directions. Briefings in bioinformatics, 7(3), 256-274. DOI: 10.1093/bib/bbl027
- Noble, S. U. (2012). Missed connections: What search engines say about women. Bitch Magazine, 54, 36-41.
After the panel discussion, but before you do the readings
- Please comment on what aspect of the From the Archive to Google: Information Technologies and the Struggle for Racial Justice in the Americas panel that you found particularly interesting, exciting, or disturbing.
- How is what was talked about in the panel relevant to your future career as a scientist or health care professional?
After you do the readings
- Please comment on what aspect of the readings that you found particularly interesting, exciting, or disturbing?
- What is the common thread amongst these three readings and how are they related to the panel discussion?
- How might you change your practice in your future career as a scientist or health care professional based on the panel discussion and readings?
- Write a discussion question based on the panel and readings that you would like to talk about further.