User:Matthew K. Oki
From OpenWetWareJump to navigationJump to search
- 1 About Me
- 2 Work and Volunteer Experience
- 3 Career and Personal Interests
- 4 Favorite Aspect of Biology and Why
- 5 Favorite Aspect of Computer Science and Why
- 6 Acknowledgments
- 7 References
- 8 Class Homework Links
- 9 Other Links
- Matthew K. Oki
- Loyola Marymount University
- 1 LMU Drive, MSB#3995
- Los Angeles, CA 90045
- Email me through OpenWetWare
- Biology Major
- Class of 2017
- Upper Division Classes:
- BIOL 357: Comp Animal Physiology
- BIOL 443: Molecular Biology (Current)
- BIOL 335: Comparative Anatomy
- BIOL 338: Animal Behavior
- BIOL 321: Urban Ecology
- BIOL 368: Bioinformatics Lab (Current)
- BIOL 398: Applied Plant Ecology (Current)
- CHEM 370: Biochemistry (Current)
Work and Volunteer Experience
- Dental Intern
- Dr. Carolyn Ishi, D.D.S.
- Summer 2016 - Current
- Assisted with general dentistry and endodontics
- Shadowed oral surgery and periodontics
- LMU Conference & Event Services
- Loyola Marymount
- Summer 2015 - Current
- Organized and reserved off-campus groups’ day and overnight events for LMU
- Groups included international families staying at LMU
- Organized and reserved facilities for LMU faculty and staff on campus events
- General Farm Worker
- J&L Farms
- Responsible for maintaining worker and equipment safety
- Assisted in machinery maintenance
- Reliably maintained orchard crops by watering, trimming, harvest, and various field services
- Community Volunteer
- Various "Employers"
- Developed and led project to assemble survival packs for homeless youth
- Assisted culturally focused non-profit organizations with grant writing, special events, and general office support
- Inventoried and organized emergency supplies for homeless and low income families
- Provided home maintenance and yard service support for elderly and disabled individuals
Career and Personal Interests
- I am pursuing a career in the dentistry field.
- I am a club officer for the LMU Club Baseball team.
- I enjoy watching baseball a lot as well. I visit this link to do so: MLB TV
Rainwater Runoff Research
- Collected rainwater runoff into Ballona Creek for multiple tests with Dr. John Dorsey
Favorite Aspect of Biology and Why
- I love the macro-aspect of biology, as in the bigger scale biology topics like anatomy and ecology. For me, it is easier to apply these topics to the real world, and so these topics are more relevant to me.
Favorite Aspect of Computer Science and Why
- I love how versatile and original this subject can be. There are so many different directions you can go with a little bit of coding in order to make it your own.
- I would like to acknowledge the assistance of Will Fuchs for his help with general questions about the Week 1 Assignment through text message.
- I worked with my homework partner Anindita Varshneya in class and through text. We worked on a few portions of the assignment together.
- Finally, I would like to acknowledge the help of Kam D. Dahlquist, Ph.D. with the instructions for the Week 1 Assignment and the example coding on the BIOL368 Homepage.
- While I worked with the people noted above, this individual journal entry was completed by me and not copied from another source.
Class Homework Links
My Home Page: Matthew K. Oki
Class Home Page: Bioinformatics Home Page
My Paper Resume: Matthew K. Oki Resume