User:Kristen M. Horstmann
- Kristen M. Horstmann
Loyola Marymount University
1 LMU Dr. MSB-2789
Los Angeles, California 90045
- BS in Individualized Science Studies, Biomathematics, Expected 2017, Loyola Marymount University
- Akademie für Internationale Bildung, Engineering Program, LMU Study Abroad (August 2014-December 2014)
I am currently unsure as to where my experience with Biomathematics will take me. However, after I graduate from Loyola Marymount, I plan on attending graduate school in order to further my education. I have been interested in oral health and craniofacial biology for a very long time, so I could see myself continuing my career in one of these fields.
- Loyola Marymount University, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Tour Guide (February 2014-Present)
- Lead prospective students and their families around campus
- Provide pertinent facts about all aspects of attending LMU (financial aid, student activities, etc).
- Diplomatically address inquiries regarding sensitive issues, such as alcohol consumption on campus, etc.
- Loyola Marymount University, Math Department, Teacher's Assistant (January 2015-present)
- Grade confidential assignments and quizzes for Calculus II course
- Assist professor with other grading/work needs
- Paid Intern for Carollo Engineers, Fresno Office (May 2014-August 2014)
- Utilized ArcMap and H2O Map Swmm computer programs to designate improvements on designs for pipes, pumps, and water storage tanks and to design completely new systems in various United States cities
- Collected and analyzed water from Kings River for pathogens and chemicals to determine best site for Fresno County’s newest Water Treatment Plant
- Oversaw and catalogued movement of equipment and employees to Delano, CA for Biottta project
- Biottta used bacteria to treat groundwater and is the first of its kind in the nation. For more information, visit 
- Assisted in preparing for major office relocation, including overseeing project to donate professional engineering books to CSU Fresno's library
- Loyola Marymount University, Human Resources Department, Office Worker (August 2013- May 2014)
- Catalogued confidential files and documents of faculty and administrative employees including hiring, salary, and insurance
- Receptionist work at front desk. Answered calls, assisted with complaints, questions, and directed visitors to the correct department
Personal Interests and Hobbies
I was born and raised in Fresno, California, just about an hour away from Yosemite National Park. I have spent many summers living in the Sierra Nevada mountains, resulting in my love for all things outdoorsy- including swimming, boating, hiking with my dog, and overall adventure. When I can find the time, I love to read and prefer classics, especially Steinbeck and Vonnegut. I love to travel and experience new cultures. During Fall of 2014, I studied abroad in Bonn, Germany and made sure to maximize my time there by traveling as often as I could. I ended up visiting 11 countries during that semester and loved every single one.
Favorite Aspects of Biology and Mathematics
- My favorite aspect of biology is how absolutely complex it is, which allows new discoveries and an ever-changing field. All types of science, including biology, will always be pertinent as a final frontier of sorts because scientists will continue to find new things or create different hypotheses and theories.
- My favorite aspect of mathematics is how each problem is like a small puzzle. There is such a level of satisfaction that comes with getting a math problem right that really should not be undervalued. I appreciate how black and white some parts of math can be when everything else in the world doesn't have such a strict definition of right and wrong.
Kristen M. Horstmann Lab Notebook
BIOL 398 Assignments
Kristen M. Horstmann Week 2 Journal
Template: Kristen M. Horstmann
Back to User: User: Kristen M. Horstmann
- Week 1
- Week 2
- Week 3
- Week 4
- Week 5
- Week 6
- Week 7
- Week 8
- Week 9
- Week 10
- Week 11
- Week 12
- Week 13
- Week 14
- Week 15