Lab 1: “Needs Identification”
- Introduce the Fundability Worksheet from Medicoventures.
- Identify an existing health care issue.
- Report on the impact of the issue on society (why it’s important).
- Identify your customers for validation.
- Review current solutions to the chosen health care issue. [Available resources: Google Scholar, Patent Searches, News Searches (Lexis Nexis), Journal Searches]
- Describe advantages/disadvantages to each current solution. Identify the unmet needs (financial, technological, etc.)
- Score relevant portions of the fundability worksheet (on Blackboard): Market Size, Competitors, and IP Position
Cite appropriately all resources used in completing this analysis.
1. Describe the health care issue you will develop a solution for. Include a description of the pathology your device or technology that will treat/prevent/diagnose.
2. Customer Validation: Create a list of 20 specific customers that you would contact to validate your device/technology (physicians, individuals, organizations etc).
3. Competitors: List current solutions for this health care issue. Create a column for each of the following:
a. Advantages (with reference to other solutions)
b. Disadvantages (with reference to other solutions and the ideal solution). Include unmet needs and categorize (financial, technological, etc.)
4. IP Position: Perform a patent search and describe existing patents related to your device/technology.
5. Using the information you have compiled, score the above portions of the fundability worksheet.
b. Customer Validation
c. IP Position
Resources on Blackboard:
- How to cite different resources
- How to use Boolean Operators to improve searches on Google and Google Scholar
- How to search for News Articles on Lexis Nexis
- Understanding and searching for Patents
- How to find peer-reviewed journal articles
HW: Lab Report 1 (due 01/31/17 at 11:59 PM through OpenWetWare)
50 points - Rubric
50 points – Peer Assessment
|Look for your Group's lab report link in the list of links on the right. If it is RED instead of blue, DO NOT CLICK ON IT!
If the link is red, type the name of your Group's lab report link exactly as shown in the following text field and click the Create Page button.
This should open up an Edit page that is pre-populated with a lab report template code.