Hey there! My name is Jennifer Chua, but I go by Jenny :)
My email address is jchua at lion dot lmu dot edu.
- Email Jenny Chua through OpenWetWare
- If you choose to contact me the old-fashioned way, you can send me some paper mail at 1 LMU Drive MSB-2440, Los Angeles, CA, 90045-2659.
Saint Mary's College High School
- High school diploma
- Awarded June 3, 2016
Loyola Marymount University
- Biology, B.A.
- Expected May 9, 2020
- Relevant upper division courses include:
- Urban Ecology (and lab)
- Coastal Ocean Habitats
- General Microbiology Lab
- General Physiology (and lab)
- Environmental Microbiology
- Plants, Pharmaceuticals, and Medicine
- Bioinformatics Laboratory
Career interests and goals
Charismatic, diligent fourth-year student who has career goals of becoming a high school teacher in the biological sciences and a passion for service and social justice. Able to work well on a team of diverse leadership skill sets, adapt to adversity, and carry a demanding academic, extra-curricular, and work-related schedule.
- Oakland Zoo
- May 2019 to present
- Responsibilities include:
- Teach a small group of campers grades Pre-K through 5th under the supervision of the ZooCamp Director.
- Utilize the zoo and the surrounding park and creek to introduce campers to animals and nature through science projects, arts, games, exploration, and observation.
- Implement programs that are imaginative, fun, hands-on, and centered on animals and ecology (based on the given themes).
- Leave campers with a greater sense of ecological wonder, connection, respect, and stewardship.
- Mentor Teen Assistant volunteers in the skills required to work successfully with young children.
- Be a supportive team member by sharing ideas, assisting others, and participating in weekly staff meetings.
- Follow department operating principles and ZooCamp protocols.
- Loyola Marymount University, Student Housing Office
- July 2018 to present
- Responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership to residents and help create and maintain an accepting and respectful community atmosphere that stimulates student learning and development.
- Enforce university policies, confront student behavior, and document student behavior when necessary.
- Assist the department in coordinating campus-wide processes (i.e., RA recruitment, residence hall opening and closing, and selection process).
- Plan and implement experiences each semester to promote community and student development in residential communities through social and educational programming.
- Loyola Marymount University, Biology Department
- September 2018 to present
- Responsibilities include:
- Adhere to a schedule of grading BIOL 101 and BIOL 102 exams on a tri-weekly basis.
- Grade fairly and efficiently between twenty and thirty exams with fifty multiple-choice and fill-in-the-blank questions.
- Maintain a spreadsheet with exam grades, percentages, averages, and student information.
- Discuss outlier grades or questions with assigned professor while maintaining confidentiality and respect for each student.
Opening and closing cashier
- Ici Ice Cream
- May 2017 to November 2018
- Responsibilities included:
- Providing excellent customer service to the front of house during both slow, cold days and busy, summer nights.
- Communicating openly with crew members when doing front projects, back projects, taking special orders, restocking the dipping case, etc.
- Maintaining inventory of ice cream, cakes, candy, special orders, and espresso drinks throughout the day.
- Managing the front of house and kept the ebb and flow of customers constant.
- Learning how to make change orders and deposits for a successful, small business at a bank.
- Adjusting comps, voids, and tips during closing shifts.
- Serving as a mentor to trainees and learned patience with new crew members during their first shifts.
For a more complete picture of my leadership and work experience, you can view my resumé here.
Personal interests and hobbies
- The art of food and wine pairing
- It truly is an art; good wine, better food, and the best company...what could be better?
- Being from the Bay Area, there is no shortage of trails to traverse and views to see. I recommend Inspiration Point at Tilden Park in Berkeley.
- There's always music playing in my apartment when I'm cooking, studying, or relaxing (rare). I'm constantly looking for my next favorite song!
- Check out this playlist of some of my favorite music!
Favorite aspect of biology
As someone who is passionate about education and wants to go into secondary science education, I find a lot of joy in understanding and discovering how life works.
Favorite aspect of computer science
With the Internet being so accessible these days (granted there is WiFi, cellular service, or a hot spot), any information we desire is at our fingertips in the most literal sense. I also enjoy the challenge of seeking out good information rather than blindly following the first available source.
- You can access the template for my weekly assignments, class journals, and other class-related activities below.
My user page
- BIOL368/S20:Week 1
- BIOL368/S20:Week 2
- BIOL368/S20:Week 3
- BIOL368/S20:Week 4
- BIOL368/S20:Week 5
- BIOL368/S20:Week 6
- BIOL368/S20:Week 8
- BIOL368/S20:Week 9
- BIOL368/S20:Week 10
- BIOL368/S20:Week 11
- BIOL368/S20:Week 13
- BIOL368/S20:Week 14
- jennymchua Week 2 Assignment
- jennymchua Week 3 Assignment
- jennymchua Week 4 Assignment
- jennymchua Week 5 Assignment
- jennymchua Week 6 Assignment
- jennymchua Week 7 Assignment
- jennymchua Week 8 Assignment
- jennymchua Week 10 Assignment
- jennymchua Week 11 Assignment
- jennymchua Week 13 Assignment
- jennymchua Week 14 Assignment
- BIOL368/S20:Class Journal Week 1
- BIOL368/S20:Class Journal Week 2
- BIOL368/S20:Class Journal Week 3
- BIOL368/S20:Class Journal Week 4
- BIOL368/S20:Class Journal Week 5
- BIOL368/S20:Class Journal Week 6
- BIOL368/S20:Class Journal Week 8
- BIOL368/S20:Class Journal Week 9
- BIOL368/S20:Class Journal Week 10
- BIOL368/S20:Class Journal Week 11
- BIOL368/S20:Class Journal Week 13
- BIOL368/S20:Class Journal Week 14
- I worked with my homework partner Drew Cartmel via text one time. I asked him a question about the Talk portion of the assignment in which we had to ask Dr. Dahlquist a question on her Talk page.
- I corresponded with Annika Dinulos via text one time. I asked her a question about formatting a pdf document.
- I copied and modified the syntax for editing my picture found at Help:Images.
- Except for what is noted above, this individual journal entry was completed by me and not copied from another source.
Jennymchua (talk) 12:51, 22 January 2020 (PST)
- OpenWetWare. (2020). BIOL368/S20:Week 1. Retrieved January 22, 2020, from https://openwetware.org/wiki/BIOL368/S20:Week_1
- MediaWiki. (2020). Help:Images. Retrieved February 1, 2020, from https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Images