Rick Rollins Discussion Page
Bad Luck and Cancer
Identifiers for the 21st century
- In the field of those who think about large-scale data integration, is there general agreement on this type of proposal? If not, I wonder what some of the reasonable arguments against its implementation might be.
- Does the group have a proposed channel or means for implementation? Would it likely involve the International Organization for Standardization (ISO)?
- Speaking of the ISO, are there any glaring errors (or lessons to be learned) from the relatively-recent proposal, development, and rollout out of the DOI persistent identifier?
- What defines "overly-long"?
- I'm unclear as to how we know TZAP does not associate with the other proteins of the Shelterin complex. I think the authors have addressed it but I need clarification.
- We expect a certain level of elegance and conciseness in a Science paper. I just wonder if there were any superfluous/redundant assays presented here. Also, were there any missed opportunities?
TADs chromatin domains
Persistence of Memory
- What about the known and compensatory spillover of cyclins and CDKs during standard cell cycle? Is it really enough to focus on CDK4?
- Neocarzinostatin (NCS)-induced DS-DNA breaks. I'm concerned about the non-native levels of damage that would result from this treatment. Also, at which cell cycle stage is this damage occurring?
- Palociclib. So many questions. Maybe it's on me to figure out its mechanism?
cap independent translation
- What is the time duration of Cas13a's activation? I suppose it could be a moot point but I didn't see any reference to that.
- I'm more curious about extrapolating amounts of detected targets. Fig. S6F refers to a plotted correlation but I'd like to see more about SHERLOCK's resolution in this regard.
- Isn't degradation of target ssRNA of any concern? Especially when the technique is touted as a quick and dirty method for detection - I'd be concerned about false negatives in the field.
- Fig 1C - are there really error bars as stated? With an n=4, I'd like to see them.
- It'd be fun to think about a cocktail in which there are multiple Cas13a endonucleases with different guide RNAs. Would it possible engineer a reporter specific to each type of activated Cas13a? This would run contrary to its indiscriminate collateral activity, but still...