- Complete the film synthesis from Wednesday.
- Prepare Malachite Green Stock solutions.
- Completing film synthesis
- Warm 150mL of Sodium Sulfate Solution (see below for details) at 80C for 15 minutes
- Place film in Sodium Sulfate Solution (see below for details) at 80C for 1 hour with gentle stirring
- Warm 150mL of 1% HCl at 80C for 15 minutes
- Place film in 1% HCl Solution (see below for details) at 80C for 30 minutes with gentle stirring
- Place film in Sodium Bicarbonate Solution for 15 minutes at room temperature with gentle stirring
- Starting new film synthesis
- Use Original Protocol to make new 10% clay-polyvinyl alcohol film
- It was 10% by weight clay because we used 1g of PVA and 0.11g of clay
- Malachite Green Solutions
- Prepare the following solutions
- 25mL 0.20ppm Malachite Green
- 25mL 0.50ppm Malachite Green
- 25mL 1.1ppm Malachite Green
- 25mL 1.4ppm Malachite Green
- 25mL 1.7ppm Malachite Green
- 50mL 2.0ppm Malachite Green
- 200mL 8.0ppm Malachite Green
- 50mL 80.0ppm Malachite Green
- 150mL 200.0ppm Malachite Green
- Soaking film samples in MG solutions
- Samples were cut and massed by Mary
- Preparing the MG Solutions
- 200 ppm: 20.00 mg of MG in 100 mL volumetric flask, filled with distilled water
- 80 ppm: 20 mL of 200 ppm solution in 50 mL volumetric flask, filled with distilled water
- 8 ppm: 2 mL of 200 ppm MG solution in 50 mL volumteric flask, filled with distilled water.
- 2 ppm and 1.7 ppm were prepared by Madeleine and Alicia
- 1.4 ppm and 1.2 ppm solutions were prepared by Eleni, Melvin and Becky
- 0.5 ppm and 0.2 ppm solutions were prepared by Andrew, Tami and Michael
- The UV-VIs data and calibration curves will be determined next Wednesday.