Getting Started with 3D Printing
If you are interested in converting a microCT scan to a 3D printed object, carefully read this method note - File:MN081.pdf.
- To generate a solid model, you will need to use some CAD software. I recommend the free and open source Freecad. It's easy to learn and you can export any model as an STL.
- Alternatively, you can find lots of premade STL files on Thingiverse.
- To slice or generate the gcode required for the printer, I recommend downloading Cura. Note that Cura is already on the lab laptop, which also has a SD card slot.
- Put the gcode on the SD card and print!
- Make sure the build plate is level. Follow the on-screen prompts and check out this guide.
- If you are having trouble with build plate adhesion, make sure the plate is very clean, then place a single swipe of glue stick on the bed before printing. 60% of the time, it works every time.
If you have any questions or the printer is not working properly, please ask Dr. Tomlinson.