User:Jamie Nunziata/Notebook/Biomaterial Design 2016/2016/02/24

From OpenWetWare
Jump to: navigation, search
JmnowwiconplantS2016.png Biomaterials Design Lab - Spring 2016 Report.pngMain project page
Resultset previous.pngPrevious entry      Next entryResultset next.png

Objective

  1. Recreate gold nanoparticles
  2. Recreate lysozyme nanoparticles


Protocol

The creation of nanoparticles on 02/22/2016 failed because we used a smaller lysozyme concentration and made fibers instead, which we will now incorporate into a film. According to Dr. Hartings, we need to increase protein concentration to make nanoparticles, not fibers. This time we are doubling the concentration of lysozyme used on 2/16/2016.

Stock Solutions:

  1. 1% weight HAuCl4 was made in water by adding 0.0522g of HAuCl4 to 5mL of water
  2. 44.42 mM lysozyme solution was made by adding 15.88mg of lysozyme to 25mL of water in a volumetric flask



Lysozyme Nanoparticle Setup
100mL stock solution was made using the following steps:

  1. 25mL of the 44.42mM lysozyme solution.
  2. 0.84mL of 1% by weight HAuCl4 stock solution was added
  3. 74.16mL of water was added, bringing the final solution volume up to 100mL.

The solution was then covered with foil and placed in the oven for 4 hours at 80 degrees celsius.

AuNP Uptake Setup

Today, two 20mL samples of red AuNP stock made yesterday at a 25% dilution was used added to small small jars. Again, plants with extensive root systems were harvested and added to the small jars containing the AuNP solution, and the jars were covered with foil. They were covered and left out on the lab bench. The plants were removed after 24 hours.



Results

We made nanoparticles and not fibers! Yay!