Protocol for making kanamycin plates. This is based on addgene's antibiotic recommendations
- LB1. See McClean:LB1
- Kanamycin (50mg/ml) (1000x) stock solution in the -20C chest in 3007. See McClean:Chloramphenicol
- Melt the LB1 in the microwave if it is solid. Start by microwaving it for 2 minutes, and then add 1 minutes intervals until it is liquid.
- Place the hot, liquid LB1 onto a shaker. This will let it cool without letting it solidify.
- When the LB1 is no longer painfully hot to the touch, add 100μL of kanamycin stock solution for every 100mL of LB1 for a final working concentration of 50μg/mL of kanamycin.
- Place the LB1+ kNmycin solution back on a shaker to for a little bit to ensure that it is well-mixed.
- Pour out the plates.
Please feel free to post comments, questions, or improvements to this protocol. Happy to have your input!
- List troubleshooting tips here.
- You can also link to FAQs/tips provided by other sources such as the manufacturer or other websites.
- Anecdotal observations that might be of use to others can also be posted here.
Please sign your name to your note by adding '''*~~~~''': to the beginning of your tip.
*Cameron J. Stewart: April 19, 2016
or instead, discuss this protocol.