CAUTION: Chloramphenicol is a suspected carcinogen.
- LB1. See McClean:LB1
- chloramphenicol (34mg/ml) stock solution in the -20C chest in 3007. See McClean:Chloramphenicol
- Melt the LB1 in the microwave if it is solid. Start by microwaving it for 2 minutes, and then add 1 minutes intervals until it is liquid.
- Place the hot, liquid LB1 onto a shaker. This will let it cool without letting it solidify.
- When the LB1 is no longer painfully hot to the touch, add 500μL of the 34mg/mL chloramphenicol stock solution for each 100mL of LB1 for a working concentration of 170μg/mL. (NOTE- Addgene recommends a working concentration of 25 μg/mL of chloramphenicol. On 4/19/16 Cameron J. Stewart tested plates with 170μg/mL and 25μg/mL and found that only 170μg/mL was selective. This is probably because the chloramphenicol used is from 2006 and thus may be partially degraded.)
- Place the LB1+ chloramphenicol solution back on a shaker to for a little bit to ensure that it is well-mixed.
- Pour out the plates.
Please feel free to post comments, questions, or improvements to this protocol. Happy to have your input!
- List troubleshooting tips here.
- You can also link to FAQs/tips provided by other sources such as the manufacturer or other websites.
- Anecdotal observations that might be of use to others can also be posted here.
Please sign your name to your note by adding '''*~~~~''': to the beginning of your tip.
*Cameron J. Stewart: April 19, 2016
or instead, discuss this protocol.