Hoatlin:BMB seminar series 2018-2019
Departmental Seminar Series for Oct 2018- June 2019
- A combined seminar series (among BMB, MMI, MMG and PMCB) will occur 2 times a month on first and third Mondays from 12-1pm in RJH 4320. Please refer to the schedule below.
- BMB seminars are typically held on second and fourth Tuesdays at noon in Vollum M1441. Please refer to the schedule below.
BMB Students and postdocs will be assigned dates (there is a minor amount of wiggle room--contact Maureen if absolutely necessary to switch--try to find a substitute first).
- BMB Students and postdocs: your date may need adjustment to accommodate outside speakers.
- BMB Faculty research seminars are now included in the BMB seminar series. BMB Faculty will have lunch discussion together after faculty presentations.
- Scheduled locals may get bumped if needed to accommodate visiting speakers.
- There will be feedback forms available so that BMB students and postdocs can get informal evaluations of presentations from faculty and peers (coming soon).
- BMB Invited speakers typically arrive on Monday, seminar is Tuesday, dinner Tuesday night.
- Coffee/tea will be available before all BMB and combined seminars.
- Series organized by Maureen Hoatlin, hoatlinm at OHSU dot edu
Guidelines and Resources for Students and Postdocs
- Students will generally have 1/2 seminar slot (30 min). The mentor or a student colleague will introduce (2-5 min) then students plan to present for about 20 minutes. Plan for about 5 min Q&A. Students who have recently joined a lab may decide to present previous work, or talk about work planned in the new lab. Be aware of the time constraint, particularly if you are presenting before another student's time. If your mentor is not available for your intro please find a substitute (a student colleague).
- Some students and postdocs will have a full seminar slot if they are far along and have a complete story to present.
- There are lots of guidelines on the internet for giving talks. Here are some handy ones, one for general deportment (including job interviews), and the others are more specific for science.
- General videos and guidelines for public speaking
- Chemistry-specific talk hints
- General Guidelines for Scientific Talks
- Excellent NIH video podcast (there are additional podcasts on career development)
- Resources for Job interview talks
- resume builder
- recordings of seminars
Procedure for Inviting BMB Speakers
- Please suggest names of a potential speaker you would like to invite by emailing me and cc to Samantha. We will send out letters of invitation. Please indicate considerations for the timing of the visit (e.g., "I will be in China in September" or "please don't schedule for last two weeks of October" or "here are some potential dates that are good for me" ). This helps manage the scheduling tasks and reduces email burden.
- Some of you may like to send out your own invitation letters, feel free! Please cc me and Samantha with the invitation and status.
- When the invited speaker responds to our invitation, the acceptance will be posted on this wiki. Samantha will narrow down on some open dates, present the dates to the OHSU host, and settle on a mutually agreeable seminar date for the OHSU host and speaker. During this post-acceptance process Samantha will be in charge of the status.
- Once a date is OKed by speaker and host, a confirmed date will be posted here and on the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Web site.
- If you invite a guest please obtain an abstract for the talk, and short biography. This helps students and faculty grasp the subject and helps advertise the seminar to other depts.
- After the date is confirmed, Samantha will contact BMB speakers and obtain the title/figure for the flyer, help with travel arrangements, book hotels, make dinner reservations and schedule and distribute itinerary. When the date is far in advance, Samantha will re-contact the speaker (and OHSU host) 3 months before the scheduled speaking date to finalize itinerary, travel, hotel, dinner plans. Each department is responsible for coordinating their own invited speakers in the combined series.
- Please contribute to suggestions for the itinerary to avoid last-minute scramble and email avalanche. Each speaker will have a section for those who would like to be included on the itinerary if possible. Please contribute directly to the wiki or email me and I will post for you. Suggest people for your guest to see or put your name down to request a spot with someone else's speaker.
- The default arrangements are: accommodations at Heathman Hotel, dinner for four at Little Bird, coffee/tea before seminar (1 box each), catered lunch for 10 students/postdocs after the seminar. Please advise Samantha 2 weeks in advance if you prefer different arrangements for dinner or a change in other logistics.
- Advertising: provost, each dept, OHSU main calendar. (need to update and curate list of contacts).
- Recording. Seminars are live streamed and archived on the BMB echo site. The seminar's sound bites, screenshots and content are tweetable etc on social media by default.
Seminar Series Planning 2018-2019
- Lynn Sakai, pending date
- Ninian Blackburn
- possible BMB Combined: https://www.bioscience.utah.edu/faculty/franzini/index.php Nicola Carter May 20 would be ideal. Also June 17.