- Group photo - July - 2015
- Peter Chien, Ph.D.
Current Lab Members
Graduate training and education is a crucial aspect of our laboratory culture. Here are our current students:
- Joanne Lau (Doctoral Student, Micro Program) is currently identifying regions of ClpXP regulators critical for their function.
- Jing Liu (Doctoral Student, MCB) is studying how DnaA, the initiator of DNA replication is degraded.
- Robert Vass (Doctoral Student, MCB) is discovering how ClpXP processes essential replication factors.
- Kamal Joshi (Doctoral Student, MCB) is defining how hierarchies of adaptors generate substrate specificity.
- Lisa Hernandez Alicea (Doctoral Student, MCB) is determining how ClpXP extracts membrane proteins.
- Rilee Zeinert (Doctoral Student, MCB) is studying the Lon protease.
Many of us gained our passion for science through undergraduate experiences, we are thrilled to host these students:
- Laura I Francis (senior advisor) - provides needed guidance, insight, and general sanity.
Previous Lab Members
The lab has had the privilege of hosting many scientists from all paths, cultures and career stages.
- Nathan Colon, undergraduate (Spring 2010)/technican (Summer 2010), graduated 2010, BMB. - Current position: PREP program.
- Laura I Francis, Ph.D. (postdoc 2010-2011) is now an instructor with the Biology Department here at UMass.
- Keith Rood (Masters Student, BMB) has graduated - current position: Sasisekharan Lab at Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research (MIT).\
- Keith Ballard (MCB) was a rotation student in the lab - Spring 2010.
- Sid Advani (MCB) was a rotation student in the lab - Fall 2011.
- Claudine Mapa (graduated 2012, BMB major) currently a PhD graduate student at UMass Worcester.
- Patrick Stoddard(graduated 2012, BMB major) currently a PhD graduate student at Harvard MCB.
- Martin Susskind (graduated 2012, BMB major) currently on the West Coast.
- Nathan Colon (PREP program 2012) currently an MD student at Drexel School of Medicine.
- Amber Cantin (MS 2012, BS 2012, BMB) currently working at Novartis Institute for Biomedical Research in Cambridge.
- Paula Muhlnickel (Masters Diploma Student, Ruhr University, Germany); 2012-2013 is currently a PhD student at the Max Planck Dortmund.
- Nousheen Hamid Bhat, Ph.D. was developing new methodologies for discovery of novel ClpXP substrates.
- Gagandeep Singh (class of 2013, BMB major) is currently an MD student at Brown.
- Alexander Duval (class of 2013, BMB major) worked on characterization of novel PAS domains in Caulobacter.
- Brian Shin (class of 2013, Biology major) is a technician in the Burton lab at Harvard MCB.
- Ying Zhang (class of 2013, BMB major) is currently working as a technician in Boston.
- Daniel DiCorpo (class of 2013, BMB major) is currently a PhD student at Brown.
- Justin Li (class of 2014, BMB major) worked on determining how DnaA is degraded.
- Saskia Heybrouck (visiting student, Ruhr University, Germany; 2014) is finishing her diploma in Germany
- Vincent Borowy (class of 2015, BMB major) worked on ClpC unfoldases in chloroplasts.