BIOL398-01/S11:Class Journal Week 13
Jump to navigationJump to search
- Link to your journal entry from your user page.
- Link back from the journal entry to your user page.
- Sign your portion of the journal with the standard wiki signature shortcut (
- Add the "BIOL398-01/S11" category to the end of the wiki page (if someone has not already done so).
- What aspect of this assignment came most easily to you?
- What aspect of this assignment was the most challenging for you?
- What (yet) do you not understand?
- Are there any aspects of the model structure with which you don't feel comfortable? Explain.
Sarah Carratt's Journal Entry
Sarah Carratt 01:44, 19 April 2011 (EDT)
- It was easy to prepare the excel sheet and work with the program once I downloaded the correct version and realized the program needed the genes to be written in a specific way.
- The hardest part of this assignment was not throwing the computer against the wall when I realized the errors produced by both mine and Nick's programs were due to a single letter.
- So far, I think I understand this assignment but I am nervous to interpret the data.
- When it comes time to present this information, I don't feel comfortable explaining the outputs the program gave me.
Carmen E. Castaneda's Journal Entry
- The easiest part of this assignment was setting up the input file, eventhough I kept making small careless mistakes.
- It was challenging trying to find and understand the error with MATLAB, and trying to understand how sensitive the program was.
- I kind of don't understand what the output with MATLAB is telling us about our data.
- I don't feel confortable trying to interpret the output just yet.
--Carmen E. Castaneda 02:50, 19 April 2011 (EDT)
James C. Clements' Journal Entry
- Editing the matlab code to run with my created excel sheet came most easily to me.
- Figuring out what's going on was the most difficult for me. I feel like I missed a lot last Thursday.
- I don't yet understand what's going on in the MatLab scripts we were given.
- I don't really understand the basic model, or the goals of the basic model.
James C. Clements 00:59, 19 April 2011 (EDT)
Nicholas A. Rohacz's Journal Entry
- The aspect that came most easily to me for this assignment was going through the excel sheet and setting everything up.
- The aspect that was most challenging was figuring out that my matlab wasn't working because I was missing a single s.
- I do not understand a lot of the math behind these steps still, but I attribute that to reading the papers out of order. I am going to go back and reread them so I understand.
- The only aspects of the model that I don't feel comfortable with are setting everything up in matlab.
Nicholas A. Rohacz 01:44, 19 April 2011 (EDT)
Alondra Vega's Journal Entry
- The part that came most easily to me was making the excel sheet.
- The aspect that was the most challenging was working with Matlab. I did not understand the error messages that kept coming up with the code, specially because I thought I had done every step right.
- I feel at this point that I understand everything. I mean I am still struggling to find the biological meaning of why certian genes are important, but other than that ecerything is clear.
- I feel confortable with all the values and expressions that we are using. I feel that since I understand the differential equation being used, I understand what parts of the model we need and why we need to estimate some, while others are retrieved from the literature. Also, I feel that I understanding what everything means and how it comes into play in the model is important to understand. This is the one time where I can see the big picture.
Alondra Vega 20:46, 17 April 2011 (EDT)