- 1 Emails Archive
- 1.1 Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:08:57
- 1.2 Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:20:38
- 1.3 Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:08:37
- 1.4 Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:34:46
- 1.5 Thu, 7 Sep 2006 14:48:31
- 2 Announcements Archive
Emails sent out to the class are posted here for the record.
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:08:57
Given today's consensus regarding the homework workload, we've decided to not post a homework today and delay Monday's assignment (HW4) due date until Wednesday evening.
office hours Friday 10am 48-216
Also, to facilitate the completion of HW4, Sonia and I will reprise the downpass algorithm during Friday's OHs. We'll also discuss strategies for generalizing the pseudocode given in class (that dealt with single character sequences) to multi-character sequences.
Happy coding! - Lawrence + Sonia
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:20:38
Office hours tonight
Hey aspiring phylogenologists,
We will be holding an additional office hours tonight, 7ish-8ish, in 48-216a. We will prop open the east door on Vassar street. If it somehow gets shut, you can:
- stand under the big windows on Vassar and use your cell phone to communicate with us in Morse code
- ring the doorbell
Tonight's hours will mainly be to help with HW3 and programming/python in general.
- Sonia & Lawerence
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:08:37
HW#1 submission amendment
There is a box in the second floor by the west stairwell so you don't have to hunt through the cubicle maze. Have it in by noon if 9:30 is too early, (but we expect you to be dreaming of phylogenetic trees). Either way please email your code (for part 1) to " email@example.com " From now on that will be the method of submission; questions should still be addressed to the TA's mit addresses.
Late Homework policy
Homeworks will be accepted up to a week late for half credit.
Office Hours this week
Office Hours this Friday at 10am, and will probably be more Q&A style this week, rather than a recitation. If you have specific things you'd like reviewed, please email your friendly TAs at soniat or ldavid @mit.edu !
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:34:46
Hi everyone, our apologies: we just recalled that parsons locks up at night. therefore, for this assignment, if you've chosen to handwrite part of your response, we'll accept submissions up until 9.30 AM tomorrow morning.
please leave your assignments either on sonia's or my desk. however, beware the labyrinthine second floor of parsons. try to enter parsons from the entrance closer to the brain + cog building, hop up one flight of stairs, and you'll find yourself in 216. On the first cubicle, there should be a map to both of our desks.
cheers, lawrence + sonia
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 14:48:31
TA Office Hours tomorrow! 10AM 7 September in 48-216a
Tomorrow's office hours will be recitation style, with Lawrence giving a Python/computation refresher course. Notes will be posted on the wiki by 5pm today, check the Announcements section on the front page.
HW#1 posted; submission instructions
HW#1 has been posted on the wiki. The homework is due Wednesday at 11:59PM. You may submit it in class or by email (address for submission will be available shortly)
Wiki feedback solicited
If you have any comments/suggestions about the course wiki (or your experiences with it in 180) please email ldavid or soniat, your friendly TAs. We can't help you if you don't tell us how! :)
- Pset 7 answers have been posted.
- Pset 7 has been semi-postponed. Check your email for details.
- some other stuff
- Due to the holiday and to reduce the work level, HW4 will be due Wednesday 9/27 at 1159pm, and HW5 postponed until the following week.
- Community notes from Lecture 5
- HW3 additional help
- We will be holding a second office hours this week on Tuesday from 7ish to 8ish in 48-216. Ring doorbell (east door) if locked.
- Community notes from Lecture 4.
- For HW#2, your code only has to deal with trees with branch lengths.
- If you are not registered for the class yet but would like to be included on the mailing list, please email soniat. Alternatively, a record of emails sent out to the class will be available on the wiki here.
- Community notes from Lecture 3 are online here, please edit!
- HW#1 code can be submitted to: mit.20.181 AT gmail DOT com Use TA's email for questions, as it will be checked more often.
- Community notes from Lecture 2 are online here, please edit!
- [Python for Windows]
- A Python/Emacs/Shell cheat sheet, as well as the code we'll be looking at in the refresher on Friday has been posted. Notes from OfficeHours1.
- The Python refresher tutorial will be held 10AM on 8 September in (48-216a)
- The first assignment is posted and is due by midnight on 13 September
- Community notes from Lecture 1 are online here, please edit!