new bead synthesis
Synthesis taken from Jake's openwetware
- Bead Synthesis with modification
- Add 0.51520g PVA and 0.05154g Clay in 6 mL 10% HCl
- 500 uL of 0.8% glutaraldehyde was added to 30mL of ethyl acetate. The mixture was stirred at maximum speed on a stirrer.
- The PVA-Clay-HCl solution was added to the ethyl acetate mixture in a drop wise manner using the small bulb transfer pipette, roughly 1.5mL maximum.
- Any more and beads will fail
- Depending on the conditions, microbeads should form between 30s to 1 minutes. As soon as the beads are visible, IMMEDIATELY pour in slowly 7mL of 0.2 M NaHCO3. Stir for at least 30s.
- Beads will be ready once a clear separation of the water and organic phase is observed. Beads will precipitate to the bottom of the beaker. There will still be some beads left in the organic solvent phase.
- Pour the contents into the falcon tube.
- Centrifuge for 1 min at 3000 rpm.
- Afterwards, remove the organic phase and suspend the beads in distilled water.
- Add data and results here...
This area is for any observations or conclusions that you would like to note.
Use categories like tags. Change the "Course" category to the one corresponding to your course. The "Miscellaneous" tag can be used for particular experiments, as instructed by your professor. Please be sure to change or delete this tag as required so that the categories remain well organized.