Start preparing new films using exfoliated clay. Perform XRD measurement. Continue analysis of DSC and UVVis.
- Exfoliated Clays
- An exfoliated clay has had all of its layers separated from one another. Instead of having layers in water, you have single sheets of material. This should change the absorption properties of the clay. We are going to test PVA-exfoliated clay materials against the regular PVA-clay material.
- To exfoliate clay, you stir it in water for 24 hours. (Luckily Dr. Fox has done this for us already).
- Stock solution 4% sodium montmorillonite
- Determine how to make a film such that you make a 10% clay (1g of PVA, ?? of exfoliated clay solution).
- Prepare a crosslinked film with the exfoliated clay in a similar manner to your other films
- Powder Xray diffraction
- We will discuss X-ray diffraction
- You will dry and set up your samples for use in the xrd instrument.
- I will show everyone how to use the instrument
- Continue DSC analysis
- Continue UVVis Analysis
- We all need to have a discussion about what our possible sources of error are.
- We may need to set up new malachite green/PVA-film experiment (just the PVA, not PVA clay at this point)
PVA - malachite green absorption
- Mass of empty vials and lids
- 2ppm sample: 16.3644g
- 8ppm sample: 16.2305g
- 20ppm sample: 16.4321g
- 200ppm sample: 16.2265g
- Mass of vials and lids and film
- 2ppm sample: 16.4251g
- 8ppm sample: 16.3305g
- 20ppm sample: 16.5610g
- 200ppm sample: 16.3400g
- Mass of film
- 2ppm sample: 0.0607g
- 8ppm sample: 0.1000g
- 20ppm sample: 0.1289g
- 200ppm sample: 0.1135g
Malachite Green Stocks
- mass: 0.0195g
- volume: 100mL
- concentration in ppm: 195ppm
- concentration in M: 5.34x10-4
- V = 10.256mL
- V = 6.25mL
- V = 2.5mL
- V = 2.5mL
This area is for any observations or conclusions that you would like to note.
Use categories like tags. Change the "Course" category to the one corresponding to your course. The "Miscellaneous" tag can be used for particular experiments, as instructed by your professor. Please be sure to change or delete this tag as required so that the categories remain well organized.