User:Jorge Arturo Zepeda/Notebook/iGem LCG-UNAM team 2010/2010/05/04

From OpenWetWare
Jump to: navigation, search
Igem-logo-150px.png iGEM Project name 1 Report.pngMain project page
Resultset previous.pngPrevious entry      Next entryResultset next.png

Tuesday 4th May 2010

I performed two transformations (with negative and positive controls) by heat shock with competent cells from Miguel’s lab.

  • TetR repressible promoter (BBa_R0040), witch is in the Kit plate 1, well 6I from the 2009 distribution. It is on plasmid pSB1A2 resistant to ampicillin.
  • Pops-> TetR[S0151], from Kit Plate 1, well 10I. It is on plasmid pSB1A2 resistant to ampicillin.
  • Positive control: Luciferase (Mariana) with resistant to kanamycin but not to ampicillin.
  • Negative control: No DNA just the competent cells.

When extracting the DNA from the 2009 distribution I was a little confused and I added 40 ul of water to well 10I and 20 for well 6I, that’s why when transforming I added 10 instead of 5 ul for the 10I tranformation.

Heat shock transformation:

  • Take 50ul of competent cells from Miguel’s lab frozen at -70ºC, out of a 100ul eppendorf into a new one (sterilized), then I add 5ul of the DNA and put into ice for 20 minutes.
  • After that give it a heat shock at 42 ºC for one minute, then put it in ice for another 5 minutes.
  • Now grow it in 1ml of liquid LB medium with no antibiotic and shaking for one hour.
  • Then centrifuge for 1 minute at 13 rpm and keep the pellet with 100ul, now plate those 100ul in a petri box with ampicillin using the triangle and put them in the incubator at 37ºC overnight.

Note: when extracting DNA from the iGem kit plates add 15ul of water, NO more!!!