User:Cmorse/Notebook/MediaWiki for Open Science/2009/02/07

From OpenWetWare
Jump to navigationJump to search
Report.pngMain project page
Resultset previous.pngPrevious entry      Next entryResultset next.png

Alternative to LiveSaver extension

  • Discovered an extension that does the same thing as the plugin I have been working on, but it saves the drafts for the article on the server instead of in a cookie in the browser.
    • Big dissapointment here. It only works with the latest alpha version of the mediawiki software: 1.14a. However I think that in the future this would be an excellent option since it removes all of the issues that a cookie size limit has. I think that continuing to use the existing plugin as a stop-gap solution should be good for the time being.
    • Steve Koch 18:36, 7 February 2009 (EST): That is disappointing, sorry! Are you able to read the code for the new extension and understand how it works? Anything you could add to it? I notice on the author's talk page that he also has a "log entry" which looks interesting. Are you sure that the draft saver doesn't work in our version of MW? Your revisions to the livesaver extension were pretty cool.
    • Cmorse 21:14, 7 February 2009 (EST): I am sure that the draft saver doesn't work in our version of MW. The only reason I noticed that it didn't work is because I installed it without checking the minimum requirements and it prevent portions of the wiki from loading altogether. That led me to a bug report page for it where they mentioned that it only worked on 1.14a. The log entry thing does look interesting. I'm going to play around with it to see if I could use that plugin to make the email to wiki thing easier...
      • The 1.14 MW branch moved from alpha to release candidate status today, which means that it is nearing an official release. I'm not sure how long it will be before they release it in a final version.
      • Also, the "Log Entry" plugin requires a minimum of 1.14a to run. I will still see if I can get it to work with a email to wiki extension.

Found bug in log entry extension

Found and reported bug with a fix attached in the log entry extension here:

Steve Koch 22:34, 7 February 2009 (EST): That's pretty cool. I tried to "watch" that bug page...not sure what I did :)
Cmorse 22:54, 7 February 2009 (EST): Yep, you're watching it. They sent me an email saying that you had added your email to the watchlist. I really like their bugtracking system. This was the first time I have used bugzilla before and it was very easy to use.