User:Anthony Salvagno/Notebook/Research/2010/08/05/Email from Koch (and Pranav)
Since beam parameter issue is resolved; the number of issues we wanted to look into before we plan the optical setup:
- The possible x or/and y signal drift at QPD, when we increase the laser power: Is it due to AOM or is it laser? How we solve it?
- the need of imaging AOM at the back aperture of the objective and further at QPD.
- How well our new diachronic works? (Ant hase done some work)
- Other noise & vibration issues.
If you guys can think of anything else please add.
I like the PR, sounds extra professional. Whenever we hit the big time and have to send out press releases it should come from Pranav.
This is a good list. I’ve numbered them below, with some comments and additions here:
- You may be able to investigate (1) using the current laser. You could set up the detector on the table, put in a 1:1 telescope to image the AOM onto the detector and then move detector in +/- z direction to explore the magnitude of the effect.
- This is related to (1). If we were using the AOM for steering (which we aren’t), it’d be necessary. However, as mentioned above, imaging may help with the XY signal related to AOM voltage.
- Noise / drift will be a big issue. There is also the looming huge task of putting everything in a box. Also, we discussed moving some equipment into the chase, which will be helpful but will require some engineering and possibly some programming.
- Any programming needs that I can work on?
- DNA Constructs
- Tethering efficiently
- Working with the new piezo focuser … this will create some programming tasks too
Thanks for getting the list started, Pranav!
The DNA and tethering problems I don't think should be handled until after all the new stuff arrives. If everything works the way I expect it to (ie the way it works in Koch's paper) then there may not be a problem. Tethering efficiently may be a minor problem, but I'm not terribly worried about that. I think for now, what we have is good and should work. We'll see though.
I will help with all the other stuff when Pranav gets in today and I get caught up.