User:Anthony Salvagno/Notebook/Research/2010/05/25/Quick DNA Combing Experiment

From OpenWetWare
< User:Anthony Salvagno‎ | Notebook‎ | Research‎ | 2010‎ | 05‎ | 25
Jump to: navigation, search

About

I am trying a quick experiment of molecular combing. All the papers I have seen so far (which is only like 3) say you need a silanized surface. Lucky for me we have this (thanks Andy). I am using old QD-Lambda DNA mixture from Fri and I put ~50ul on the surface of the slide. I then let the liquid evaporate and will place a coverslip on this. I will seal it with nail polish so that the slide and coverslip are one and then I will look to see what happens.

If this doesn't work I will try again when I have time with fresh QDs. But for now let's see what happens.

Also: I decided to try another sample exact same DNA mixture, only this time I'm using 10ul and I put the coverslip directly on top of the drop to spread the drop out. I will let this evaporate and then follow the same protocol as above.

Results

It's inconclusive whether this works or not so I thought I'd just take some images and upload them to here and let you be the judge. <html><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf" width="600" height="400" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&hl=en_US&feat=flashalbum&RGB=0x000000&feed=http%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2Fanthonysalvagno%2Falbumid%2F5475262215898101697%3Falt%3Drss%26kind%3Dphoto%26hl%3Den_US" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></html>

I think I will try this with just yo-yo1 stained DNA and then try and compare that to what I see here.