UC Davis Open Science
We're interested in sharing tools, building community, and promoting open science on campus.
- Learn about useful tools and techniques to develop, organize and share your science more effectively.
- Navigate the borderlands of science outreach, science blogs and journalism, and strengthen your own broader impacts
- Help expand Open Access publications, Open Data and Open Source adoption here at UC Davis.
Anyone can join the mailing list! send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with
sub openscience firstname lastname
as the only line in the body.
1) Defrosting your digital library: A hands on introduction to Mendeley software for organizing and sharing articles:
(Carl and Luke, Davis Open Science): Monday November 15th, 4:00pm, 2334 Academic Surge Building.
If you want to follow along, create an account and install Mendeley on your laptop and bring it on in. Email: email@example.com if you are coming to this so I can make sure we have enough space.
2) A Startup's Vision for Connecting Researchers:
(Mendeley Research Networks co-founders Jan Reichelt and Victor Henning): Tuesday November 16th, 12:30pm, 1062 Bainer Hall.
"We want to provide the best productivity and collaboration platform to every researcher, student and knowledge worker in the world - on the desktop, web and mobile. Through the platform, we're crowdsourcing the world’s largest open research database, and we enable everyone to build applications on top of it. In doing so, we're helping to accelerate scientific progress, drive scientific discovery, and make research more open."
- Regular meetings will continue on the First Wednesday of the month.
- @ 5:30pm @ the Delta of Venus Cafe Come join us!
- Minutes from past meetings
Current Group Projects
We are involved with several inititiaves on campus relating to Open Science and are always looking for more people to help
Seminars and Talks
We host regular talks and seminars on open science related topics. Let us know if you would like to speak or have someone that you'd like us to host.
Nature Publishing Fee Rise
Open Access Week
We are working with the UC Davis library on the some of the events for Open Access Week.
Open Course Ware
There is an small initiative in collaboration with iTunesU to make courses available publicly via the internet. We are working to encourage more and more faculty to post their lectures online. 
Archive of Talks and Events
Davis Open Science Talk: Michael Eisen co-founder of PLoS on Open Access, May 3rd 11am
Davis Open Science is proud to host our first official talk featuring Michael Eisen the co-founder of the Public Library of Science (PLoS), one of the world's most prominent peer reviewed open access journals. Michael is also an adviser for Science Commons, a Creative Commons project aimed at faster, more open, web enabled research. He is a professor of Biology at UC Berkeley focusing on the evolution of gene regulation, and keeps a blog about his research, open science, and baseball. Michael will talk to us about his work in Open Access and we'll have plenty of time for questions and discussion.
Watch the video recording of the talk here.
Related groups at UC Davis
OpenWetWare Labs at UC Davis
OpenWetWare Groups at UC Davis
- Answers to common concerns about open science.
- Science Commons, a Creative Commons project for more open science.
- Updates and ideas in open science on Friendfeed
- You can also visit us on the Davis Wiki
- how do you evaluate a publication? what are article-level metrics? check out the PLoS metrics
- Directory of Open Access journals
Opportunities to raise awareness / lobby
SPARC can help you set up a campus open access policy! anyone?
Thoughts or Feedback? (no login required)
<html> <div class="js-kit-comments" backwards="yes" paginate="10"></div> <script src="http://js-kit.com/comments.js"></script> </html>