UA Biophysics:Protocols:Revolver Turbidostat with Interchanging Media
- Open the Turbidostat V.3 program located in the Desktop.
- Put your cultures in channels 1 to 4 (for proper turbidostat working, you should inoculate organisms in log phase)
- Connect the peristaltic pumps to channels 1 to 4 using silicone tubes.
- Press the Start button in the upper left and select the Save File.
- Turn on the Turbidostat.
- Set desired parameters. These are Interval Time (I), Dead Time (M), Transition Time (T), Trigger A and B for each channel
- Press Start on the main screen.
Connecting the Peristaltic Pumps
As we have only 4 channels working with this version of the turbidostat, the pumps are distributed in the following way
- IN Pump 1: Medium A
- IN Pump 2: Medium B
- IN Pump 3: Medium A
- IN Pump 4: Medium B
- IN Pump 5: Medium A
- IN Pump 6: Medium B
- IN Pump 7: Medium A
- IN Pump 8: Medium B
Also, when any channel reaches the trigger level, ALL OUT pumps are activated. This improves oxigenation on every channel, and also means that you can connect any OUT pump to any channel.
- Interval Time (I): (Tiempo Intervalo), set in hours. This controls the time in with media A pumps or media B pumps are operating. For example, if set to 4 hours, in times 0-4 hours will operate media A pumps (1,3,5,7); in times 4-8 hours will operate media B pumps (2,4,6,8); in times 8-12 will againg operate media A pumps and so on.
- Dead Time (M): (Tiempo Muerto) , set in minutes. This time occurs right before I. Allows to inactivate the trigger of the pump, so the culture can grow beyond this level.
- Transition Time (T): (Tiempo Transición), set in seconds. This activates the pumps right after I. Allows to change between media fastly.
- Triggers: set for each media and each channel independently. When the growth level reaches this level, either pump A or pump B are activated (depends on which media is currently active, determined by I). This are inactive when in M