Pea Database Collaboration Project/Sugar Magnolia
- Alternative Names: none.
- Crop Type: Snap (edible podded)
- Latin name: Pisum sativum L. 'Sugar Magnolia'
- Vine Height: 6-8 ft (2m)
- Pod Color: Purple
- Flowers: Bicolor purple
- Origin: Bred by Alan Kapuler (Peace Seeds)
- Linkage Group:
- Traits & Loci: Hyper-tendril (aka. Semi-Leafless), purple podded, snap pea
- JIC Geneotype:
- Hardiness: Easier to grow than other Snap Pea varieties
- Notable Traits: Hyper-tendril (aka. Semi-Leafless), purple podded, snap pea
- Time to Maturity: Pick pods early as they tend to get tough with age
- Approx. Growing Degree Days (GDD):
- Known Supplier(s): [Adaptive Seeds], [Baker Creek], [Botanical Interests], [Burpee], [Log House Plants], Peace Seeds, [Peace Seedlings] [Pinetree Garden Seeds], [RH Shumway], [Territorial] and others (as of 2018)
The first puple-podded snap pea, a product of 15 years of breeding. As described by Dr. Alan Kapuler (the breeder): "Unexpectedly, the cross of a Parsley Bush Pea with a Purple Podded Snap Vine Pea generated the hypertendril trait. Hypertendrils are very distinctive, they hold a population of peas together, a useful self-supporting characteristic." (source: http://peaceseedslive.blogspot.com/ )
Hyper-Tendril is also known as Semi-Leafless.