OpenWetWare talk:Getting started
- I'd suggest not suggesting that people edit this page and instead link to the Sandbox. I don't think we really want people cluttering up the getting started page. --Austin 10:43, 24 February 2006 (EST)
- I really like the Wikipedia introduction page as well, if we can keep ours to 3 tabs and fit it in a browser window without scrolling that'd probably be good -- it just makes things less imposing for a new user. --JK
- 3 tabs:
- Introduction - "how to edit the page"
- Setting up a user page and a lab wiki
- Contributing to the community/being a power user.
- Will do. I agree. It will definitely lessen the clutter so that the tabs don't separate from the div border. --Jennyn 11:00, 24 February 2006 (EST)
What is going on here?
I take it that at some point in the past, this page served a purpose other than to be a mistaken sandbox. As it stands it is absolutely useless as a "Getting started" style page. Is there any reason why reversion to an explanation of what to do when you first get started here hasn't happened!? Andrew D. Kehr 00:08, 3 December 2009 (EST)
Is there some way we can get rid of the test edit section at the bottom of the page because I think that is why so many people think they can just deface this page... Andrew D. Kehr 00:42, 8 March 2010 (EST)
- Austin 15:43, 18 March 2006 (EST): I've changed the look a bit to use general tabs. This should make it easier to maintain and edit the page. Also, it allows any page to become tabbed with any number of tabs. I stole the tab images so the color scheme may not be the OWW ones. The image colors could in theory be changed to match OWW colors. This page's image showing the previous page's look may need to be changed. What do people think about this new look?
- Jennyn 19:05, 18 March 2006 (EST): Looks fancy! I like the tab idea. Not sure if the super 3D effect matches our mainly 2D wiki (however the icons I made for discussion are 3D). What about losing the gradient background behind the tabs? Great work, though! Looks awesome!
- Austin 12:53, 19 March 2006 (EST): The image for the gradient background Image:Tab-bg.gif includes the solid line at the bottom and it looks strange to just remove it completely. As you're the image expert, if you'd like to edit the image to remove the gradient only, feel free to change as you see fit. It may be possible to do it without an image at all, but that'd take some work to figure out. Just setting the bottom border doesn't quite work correctly.