I also think that we should have a go at doing the on->off latency experiment. It would go something like this.
- Induce the cells as normal and wait 20 mins or so until they reach their steady level of GFP accumulation.
- Spin them down and resuspend them in media with no AHL.
- As a control, just spin them down and resuspend them in their own media.
- Put both sets of samples into the plate reader and measure a time course (~1hr).
- How long does it take for GFP synthesis rate to be within 5% of the synthesis rate of cells that went through the same spinning protocol but never had any AHL added to them.