DIYbio FAQ v1.5: "The biohacker's FAQ"
- This FAQ for DIYbio is actively maintained by it's editors, and by you! Edit your contributions directly or email updates to the DIYbio email list, email@example.com.
- The contents of this FAQ are copyright under the OpenWetWare Copyright policy (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported). When quoting any content of this FAQ elsewhere, include a full hypertext link back to the main FAQ page.
This topic DIYbio Kits is part of the DIYBio FAQ
- Please update this FAQ mercilessly with Q&A !
This part of the FAQ needs contributions; please add!
Educational Kits - Basic (Grade School and above)
- Plasmid Biotechnology Kit
- See Carolina's Biotech kits: http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Acarolina.com+biotechnology+kits
- Discovery Exclusive DNA Explorer Kit
- See Discovery store or amazon, etc.
- Planet Toys Worldwide, Ltd, CSI DNA Lab
- See online stores like amazon, etc
Educational Kits - Intermediate (High school / Undergraduate College and above)
- Biotechnology DNA Extraction Kit: E. coli - DNA Extraction
- Biotechnology Kit: DNA Extraction of Micrococcus luteus
- AP Biology Lab 6: Molecular Biology - Green Gene Colony Transformation Kit: "" Students observe the phenotypic effect of adding the gene for GFP (green fluorescent protein). GFP is expressed on plain LB - no color development substrate or induction reagent is needed. Your students can easily view the "green" effects in normal classroom lighting. Colonies will fluoresce under UV light.""
- and others...
- BioRad pGLO Bacterial Transformation Kit
- DNA Wizard Kit: ""extract DNA from a fruit, probe and spool real DNA , build a double helix, solve a chromosome puzzle, play the gene construction game, and more!""
- The MacGyver Project: Genomic DNA Extraction and Gel Electrophoresis Experiments Using Everyday Materials
- Virginia Tech's Biotech in a Box: ""DNA Biotechnology Kit contains the equipment and materials for students to pour agarose gels and use them to analyze DNA. The Introduction to Immunology Kit contains background materials on basic immunology, with emphasis on using antibodies as tools in research and in diagnostic tests. The kit features a technique widely used in medicine, drug testing, and forensics: the ELISA (Enzyme-linked Immunosorbant Assay). Column chromatography is a technique commonly used to purify proteins, both in research labs and in the biotechnology industry. The Column Chromatography Kit contains materials for running three types of chromatographic columns: gel filtration, which separates molecules by size; ion exchange, which separates based on charge; and reverse phase, which separates molecules based on polarity. The Protein Electrophoresis Kit contains all of the material needed to perform polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE) of proteins. ""
Educational Kits - Advanced (College / Professional)
DIY Liquid Handling Kit
Opentrons is a open platform liquid handling platform that offer a simple, robust DIY kit for users. The system runs on open source software. All Hardware is off the shelf or 3D print part. Complete DIY kit will be offered or you can download the BOM to build yourself.