Best of 2006-2007
Best of 2007-2008
- Friday, 1/19 at 9am in 110 Steele
- Bacterial Chemotaxis
- Perfect adaptation
- Barkai N and Leibler S. Robustness in simple biochemical networks. Nature. 1997 Jun 26;387(6636):913-7. DOI:10.1038/43199 |
- Keymer JE, Endres RG, Skoge M, Meir Y, and Wingreen NS. Chemosensing in Escherichia coli: two regimes of two-state receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 Feb 7;103(6):1786-91. DOI:10.1073/pnas.0507438103 |
- The cells are selecting for noisy function, but too much noise (particularly with extreme amplification) would seem to be a problem. If you could specify everything in this system, where would you want noise?
- Drunken random walks seem to be a common solution to this kind of problem - why?
- It looks to me (Jkm) like a good way to deal with noisy inputs. Is there more to it? Are there better (engineering?) ways of solving the same problem?
- Going from experiments to models (particularly in biology) - are assumptions (CheB only demethylates active receptors) good, since they give us testable hypotheses? Or bad, since they're just artificial constraints in order to get the 'right' answer?
- Korobkova E, Emonet T, Vilar JM, Shimizu TS, and Cluzel P. From molecular noise to behavioural variability in a single bacterium. Nature. 2004 Apr 1;428(6982):574-8. DOI:10.1038/nature02404 |
- Alon U, Surette MG, Barkai N, and Leibler S. Robustness in bacterial chemotaxis. Nature. 1999 Jan 14;397(6715):168-71. DOI:10.1038/16483 |
- Spiro PA, Parkinson JS, and Othmer HG. A model of excitation and adaptation in bacterial chemotaxis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997 Jul 8;94(14):7263-8.
- Sourjik V and Berg HC. Binding of the Escherichia coli response regulator CheY to its target measured in vivo by fluorescence resonance energy transfer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002 Oct 1;99(20):12669-74. DOI:10.1073/pnas.192463199 |
- Sourjik V and Berg HC. Receptor sensitivity in bacterial chemotaxis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002 Jan 8;99(1):123-7. DOI:10.1073/pnas.011589998 |
- Cluzel P, Surette M, and Leibler S. An ultrasensitive bacterial motor revealed by monitoring signaling proteins in single cells. Science. 2000 Mar 3;287(5458):1652-5.
- Vaknin A and Berg HC. Single-cell FRET imaging of phosphatase activity in the Escherichia coli chemotaxis system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004 Dec 7;101(49):17072-7. DOI:10.1073/pnas.0407812101 |
- Yi TM, Huang Y, Simon MI, and Doyle J. Robust perfect adaptation in bacterial chemotaxis through integral feedback control. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000 Apr 25;97(9):4649-53.