Difference between revisions of "Talk:JHIBRG"
|Line 44:||Line 44:|
Thank you !!! [[User:Jungwhan Kim|Jay]]
Thank you !!! [[User:Jungwhan Kim|Jay]]
Revision as of 01:41, 2 February 2007
--moved from the user:JHIBRG discussion--
Welcome to OpenWetWare. I noticed that you've been making a lot of edits to OpenWetWare. That's wonderful. I just wanted to let you know about a few things.
- In general, we like to have one account per person. I just wanted to check whether the account for JHIBRG was being used by multiple folks or just one? The reason I ask is that on OpenWetWare, anyone can edit anyone else's page so it is nice to be able to attribute each edit to an individual (helps to build trust in the community).
- I noticed that you seem to be starting a group on OpenWetWare. In general, when a new lab or group joins OpenWetWare, they generally choose a prefix to use for all their pages. For example, you might consider starting a main page called JHIBRG and then you can name all other pages in the form JHIBRG:Abstract and JHIBRG:Reading List - A group compilation and summary of relevant papers etc. The advantage of this approach is that it clearly marks all pages belonging to your group and secondly, you can automatically create static webpages for your group. For example, compare Synthetic Biology and http://syntheticbiology.org or Knight and http://knight.openwetware.org. In general, most users assume that pages without a prefix like JHIBRG are available for anyone to edit freely.
If you want to move some of your existing pages, there are instructions at Help:Renaming pages.
Thanks and let me know if you need any help or have any questions.
--Reshma 10:59, 27 January 2007 (EST)
- Thank you for your comment. Our group members are not familiar with the wiki-style editing system, and we are now actively learning (and correcting!) it. Again, thank you for your helpful comments, and some of the problems that you noticed are now fixed.
- JHIBRG 22:48, 27 January 2007 (EST)
One more concern is that whether we can continue to maintain this at the Userpage instead of the group page or 'article' as other group does. --JHIBRG 21:54, 28 January 2007 (EST)
- My opinion is to move to 'article' page because the purpose of this page is not for the user JHIBRG. (But I don't know exactly how to create an article page)
- --Deepsilence 07:17, 29 January 2007 (EST)
- Reshma 11:14, 29 January 2007 (EST): See Help:Starting a lab wiki for guidelines on starting a new lab on OWW. I realize that you're a group rather than a lab, but it should give you an idea of how to start.
Another thing to consider is naming the user account names - I did already made the fault, would it be more appropriate to use one's full name? Seems that most people do so. Is that a convention?
--Deepsilence 07:22, 29 January 2007 (EST)
- Reshma 11:14, 29 January 2007 (EST): In general it is nice if user account names are a reflection of a person's true name (i.e. some combination of a person's first and last name) simply because, again, it helps to build trust in the community. However, this isn't enforced rigorously and some people opt for more creative usernames :) . Regardless, everyone tries to encourage users to put at least some information about themselves on their user page. i.e. their name and affiliation for example so that people can always click through to learn about a person.
Now the new mainpage is created at JHIBRG.
Listing JHIBRG in Group (main page)
Can we edit freely to link our JHIBRG to "Group" list (Main Page) or do we need a kind of permission for this???
- Reshma 10:01, 30 January 2007 (EST): Sure go ahead. No permission necessary :). (You don't need permission to make edits anywhere on OpenWetWare.)
Thank you !!! Jay
JHIBRG 04:41, 2 February 2007 (EST) : This is Junho, I logged on with my account jh0210 (yes I already made the mistake with the id) but could not edit pages, so had to use JHIBRG. Does someone know how to get this fixed? Thanks in advance.
P.S. I tried to modify the logbook to move today's meeting from schedule to history, but it had already been done when I got in here. Thanks to who took care of my homework :)