- Get a Stanford ID card.
- Add your name and contact info onto the Emergency Contact Info sheet on the clipboard by the main entrance.
- Get your Stanford email account and SUNet ID.
- Add yourself to the Smolkelab mailing list: https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/smolkelab
- Get a weebly account so that you can contribute to the lab website.
- Update your info on the lab website.
- Database location: http://184.108.40.206
Stanford Training Requirements
After you get your web access to Stanford, log-in to axess.
Choose the STARS (Training) tab
Everyone Must Complete
- EHS-4200-WEB General Safety & Emergency Preparedness
- EHS-1500-WEB Biosafety
Log into the red BIOSAFETY binder on Julie's desk, under the Training Info tab, name and date of Biosafety Training on appropriate page.
Ask Christina if you need to complete,
- EHS-1600 Bloodborne Pathogens
Log into the red BIOSAFETY binder on Julie's desk, under the Training Info tab, name and date of Training on appropriate page. This course must be renewed annually.
Our lab meeting point in case of an emergency is in the plaza behind Coupa Cafe.
Lab Training and Starting Out
- Get a lab notebook and use it! Your lab notebook should be a record of your daily activities in the laboratory. Discuss with Christina expectations around keeping and maintaining lab notebooks.
- Before using an instrument make sure you are appropriately trained on it. This goes for any instrument (even something as simple as a pH meter, to make sure you are using it correctly and appropriately). If you do not know how to use something don't be afraid to ask.
- Make sure you are getting the appropriate training on experimental techniques. Generally, new researchers will be paired with another researcher in the lab who will train them on appropriate techniques (depending on the background and project).
Building and Lab Access
After you get an ID card,
- Contact Christina and Jean to arrange for Shriram building access.
There are multiple keycard access points into the building. You will need your card after 6PM weekdays and all weekend. Additionally, keycard access is required in the elevator and the stairway doors for after-hours security. Please, never leave the building or stairwell doors propped open on weekends.
- Obtain keys for the main lab and your office.
Contact Ray or Justine in the building manager's office to pick up your keys.
- An extra set of keys are kept in the lab for access to researcher offices.
Ordering and Receiving Supplies
- Primarily all supplies are routed through Christina and submitted through the ordering spreadsheet google doc. Make sure you get access and edit rights to this document.
- DNA synthesis (standard oligos) - PAN: http://cmgm.stanford.edu/pan/. Request directions for setting up an account and for ordering from Christina.
- DNA sequencing - Elim: http://www.elimbiopharm.com/. An envelope for pick up of DNA to be sequenced is right by the main entry for the lab. Request directions for setting up an account and for preparing DNA samples from Christina.
- Stanford maintains a Physics store. Ask Christina to make you an approved purchaser if needed. This store can serve as a backup to the general purchasing through Christina.
- When deliveries are made to the lab, make sure to log the shipment onto the clipboard by the microwave. Include item, place stored, vendor and your initials. Cross check the packing slip to make sure all items have been removed from the box, especially enzymes. If the items are cold items (need to be placed in freezer or fridge) do not leave the box for someone else to open. Make sure you put away the cold items in the appropriate location. Break down the box and put at the end of the hallway near the elevator. Ice packs and peanuts are tossed. NEB enzyme boxes are recycled, all other foam boxes are tossed. Recycle packing paper. Extra dry ice should be saved in the white dry ice box near the cold room, B17.
Glassware, Culture Tubes, Washroom Info and Autoclave Directions
Glassware is located in cabinets in the main lab. Culture Tubes are located above the main sink in lab, two sizes are available.