Zhu Lab:Position Available
"Students, post-doctoral fellows and visiting scientists" are welcome to contact Dr. Zhu about training opportunities and potential collaborations. Research opportunities are available in the broad fields of gastroenterology, hepatology, cell biology and basic science of gastric acid secretion.
Teaching experience At SUNY Buffalo
- Sebastian Zavoian, MD, 2016-2018, Oral and gut microbiome in IBD.
- Shelly Choudhury, MD, 2016-2018, ECM, fibrosis and NASH.
- Lili Yang, MD. MSc, Visiting scholar, Institute of Digestive Diseases, Longhua Hospital, Shanghai University of TCM, China, 2016-2017, Epigenetic regulation of gene expression in the livers of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Zhipeng Tang, MD, PhD, Visiting scholar, Institute of Digestive Diseases, Longhua Hospital, Shanghai University of TCM, China, 2016, Effect of herbal medicine on the gut microbiomes in inflammatory bowel diseases.
- Bing Wang, MD, PhD, Visiting scholar, Shanghai No.6 People’s Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, China, 2015-2016, Vitamin A metabolism and transcriptional factors in non-alcoholic fatty livers.
- Reham Abdou, MD,2015-2017, Iron transportation in NASH livers.
- Tavleen Bhatia, MD,2015-2017, Molecular mechanisms of fibrosis in NASH livers.
- Benita Lupu, MD,2014, CYP2E1 induction in NASH livers.
- Janet Oluwole, MD, 2014, Lipid metabolism in NASH livers.
- Adrian Chapa, 2014-2016, Bile acid metabolism in NASH livers.
- Sarita Singhal, 2014-2016, Paraoxonase 1 as a protective mechanism in NASH livers.
- Neha Rohra, Pediatric GI resident, 2013, Induction of transferrin by hydrogen peroxide.
- Maan Alkhatib, 2013-2015, Paraoxonases as antioxidative enzymes in NASH livers.
- Colleen Nugent, 2013-2015, Irisin, brown adipose tissue and NASH.
- Qin Feng, MD, PhD, Institute of Liver Diseases, Shuguang Hospital, Shanghai University of TCM, China, 2013-2014. Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis rat model: a high-fat-diet and DSS feeding model. The storage and mobilization of liver fat in NASH livers.
- Jianye Yuan, MD, PhD, Institute of Digestive Diseases, Longhua Hospital, Shanghai University of TCM, China, 2012-2013. Potassium channels in gastric acid secretion. Role of endotoxemia in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.
- Ghanim Aljomah, MD, 2012-2014, Elevated alcohol metabolism in NASH livers.
- Ricardo Arbizu, MD, 2012-2014, Induction of hemoglobin expression in NASH livers: A novel anti-oxidative mechanism.
- Alia Adil Shah, 2011-2012, Oxidative stress related gene expression in the liver of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.
- Rujian Zhang, MD, PhD, Department of Gastroenterology, Taishan Medical Universtiy, Shandong, China, 2011, Potassium channels in gastric acid secretion.
- Diana Alexandra Moya, MD, 2011-2013, Abnormal iron metabolism in NASH livers.
- Zebunnissa Memon, MD, 2011-2013, Abnormal carbohydrate metabolism in NASH livers.
- Razan Alkhouri, MD, 2010-2012, The pathophysiology of inflammatory bowel diseases in adolescents. (now Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Buffalo)
- Sonal Desai, MD, 2010-2012, The molecular mechanism of oxidative stress in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis livers. (now Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Texas )
- Adil Sarfraz, 2010-2011 , Development of an animal model for non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.
- Raza Patel, MD, MPH, 2009-2011, Development of an animal model for non-alcoholic steatohepatitis and the use thereof. (now Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Utah)
Teaching experience At UC Berkeley
- Lily Zhong, 2008-2009, Ezrin tyrosine phosphorylation in the gastric parietal cells.
- Hai Van Le, 2008-2009, Functional proteomic studies on gastric parietal cells.
- Cody Ender, 2008-2009, Identification of the activation factor for HK-ATPase.
- Michael Starr, 2008, (summer student from Harvey Mudd College, CA) EGF effect on ezrin tyrosine phosphorylation and gastric acid secretion.
- Bing Zhang, 2007-2009, Different expression pattern of ERM proteins in gastric gland.
- Joy Makdisi, 2007-2008, Identification of apical marker proteins in gastric parietal cells.
- Cheng Chen, 2007-2008, High turn-over of ezrin phosphorylation on T567.
- Jason Hatakeyama, 2007-2008, Identification of apical marker proteins in gastric parietal cells.
- Aditi Shastri, 2007-2008, Phosphorylation of ezrin in kidney proximal tubules: localization and activity.
- Kevin Poon, 2007-2008, Two dimensional electrophoresis of ezrin: comparative study between gastric glands and kidney proximal tubules.
- Aennes Abbas, 2006-2007, Expression of ezrin N-terminus in gastric parietal cell.
- Tim Wu, 2006-2007, Ezrin and NHERF1 in gastric glands.
- Joseph Delaney, 2005-2007, Ezrin binding proteins in gastric glands.
- Sajan Patel, 2005-2006, Two-dimensional electrophoresis of ezrin from gastric glands: protein phosphorylation upon stimulation of gastric glands.
- Veronica Lao, 2004-2005, Purification of ezrin from gastric glands.
- Vincent Li, 2003-2004, Construction and characterization of recombinant adenoviruses expressing ezrin.
Teaching experience At SIBCB
- Ye Ye, 2000-2001, Development of a DNA vaccine against hepatitis C virus.