WinterVomitingLab:Protocols/Passaging HeLa cells
Return to WinterVomitingLab
Passaging HeLa Cells.
- HeLa (Henrietta Lacks) cells (ATCC # CCL-2)
- Complete MEM
- MEM (Fisher- cat# SH30024LS)
- 10% Atlanta Bio Fetal Bovine Serum (Atlanta Biologicals- cat# S11050H)
- 1% Penicillin/Streptomycin (VWR- cat# 12001-692)
- 1% Sodium Pyruvate (Fisher- cat# SH3023901)
- 1% Non-essential amino acids (VWR- cat# 12001-634)
- Determine the number of new flasks to be made, and label with passage #, cell line, date, and initials. Add the appropriate amount of fresh media for the size flask you are using (T25- 7ml, T75- 25ml, T175- 50ml), minus the amount you will be adding from the passaged flask. HeLa cells are passaged at a ratio of 1:10.
- Pour media from each flask into the waste beaker, cover beaker, and set aside.
- Rinse flasks with PBS, collecting the rinsate in the waste beaker.
- Add 3 ml trypsin (T175 flasks) and rock flask to cover the bottom with a thin layer of trypsin.
- Place flasks in 37°C incubator, checking every 2 minutes, until all cells have detached from the bottom. If the cells do not detach easily, gentle agitation may be necessary.
- Add 7 ml of fresh media and thoroughly rinse the flask to remove and mix all cells, then aliquot them into the appropriate number of new flasks containing fresh media.
- Discard old flasks and place new flasks in the 37° C incubator.
Please feel free to post comments, questions, or improvements to this protocol. Happy to have your input!
- List troubleshooting tips here.
- You can also link to FAQs/tips provided by other sources such as the manufacturer or other websites.
- Anecdotal observations that might be of use to others can also be posted here.
Please sign your name to your note by adding '''*~~~~''': to the beginning of your tip.
Relevant papers and books
- Who has experience with this protocol?
or instead, discuss this protocol.