WinterVomitingLab:Protocols/HBGA binding with magnetic beads
Return to WinterVomitingLab
Study the capture of human norovirus to synthetic HBGAs.
- Streptavidin-coated magnetic beads (MyOne) or 50 µl (M270)(Dynal)
- PBS-T (PBS containing 0.05% Tween 20)
- biotinylated HBGA (Glycotech)
- blocking buffer of choice, such as;
- SuperBlock (Pierce)
- 5% Blotto
- 5% Fetal Bovine Serum
- 5% BSA
- stool suspension containing human norovirus
- Vortex streptavidin-coated magnetic beads (Dynal) until re-suspended.
- To 1.5 ml tubes, add 25 µl (MyOne) or 50 µl (M270) of beads for each sample to be tested.
- Add PBS up to 1 ml and mix using an end-over-end or Hula (Dynal) mixer for 1 min.
- Pellet beads against the magnet (Dynal), waiting for the solution to become clear (~ 1 min) before drawing off the supernatant.
- Repeat wash procedure 2 additional times, suspending the beads in blocking buffer (we use SuperBlock or 5% Blotto) the final time.
- Add 50 µg of synthetic biotinylated HBGA (Glycotech) to each tube. Be sure to include uncoated control beads for determining non-specific binding of virus to uncoated beads.
- Incubate for 1.5 hr at RT.
- Wash 3X with PBS-T.
- Suspend beads in 980 µl of blocking buffer containing 0.25% Tween.
- Incubate for 1 hr at RT and then overnight at 4°C on an end-over-end rotator. Note: the overnight blocking step may be replaced by incubating for 2-4 hr at RT.
- Wash 3X with PBS-T.
- Suspend beads in 980 µl of blocking buffer (without Tween).
- Add 1 µl (or appropriate volume) of virus suspension (if adding dilution series, it should be done prior to adding virus to beads).
- Incubate for 4 h at RT using an end-over-end rotator.
- Wash 5x with PBS-T. Note: Be sure to discard spent wash solution in biohazard waste container.
- Wash 3X with PBS. See note in step above.
- Re-suspend beads in 50 µl sterile PBS.
- Proceed to RNA extraction step of choice.
Please feel free to post comments, questions, or improvements to this protocol. Happy to have your input!
- List troubleshooting tips here.
- You can also link to FAQs/tips provided by other sources such as the manufacturer or other websites.
- Anecdotal observations that might be of use to others can also be posted here.
Please sign your name to your note by adding '''*~~~~''': to the beginning of your tip.
Relevant papers and books
- Mendez II, Hermann LL, Hazelton PR, and Coombs KM. A comparative analysis of freon substitutes in the purification of reovirus and calicivirus. J Virol Methods. 2000 Oct;90(1):59-67.
- Who has experience with this protocol?
or instead, discuss this protocol.