WangLab:Rules to Follow for Microscopy
From OpenWetWareJump to navigationJump to search
Rules and Tips for the Microscope Operation
- Turn on the Microscope (following the orders):
- Arc Lamp Power.
- Shutter/Filter Wheels Controller.
- Halogen Shutter (Uniblitz, on the backside).
- Cascade Camera (on the backside).
- Zeiss Microscope (on the right side).
- Shut off the Microscope (following the orders):
- lower the objective, rotate the objective inside
- take out the samples
- raise the objective again
- Clean the Oil Objectives (if any).
- Make sure the Objective is in Up position.
- turn off Computer.
- turn off Zeiss Microscope (on the right side).
- turn off Cascade Camera (on the backside).
- turn off Halogen Shutter (Uniblitz, on the backside).
- turn off Shutter/Filter Wheels Controller.
- turn off Arc Lamp Power
- If you used oil objectives, please make sure to clean it.
- cotton swabs + 70% Alcohol
- Lens Papers + Lens Cleaning Solution
- Dry Lens Papers
- Kohler Alignment
- Focus on the specimen using low magnification
- Close Field Diaphragm
- Adjust Condenser up and down until a sharp hexagon is observed
- Center the hexagon if needed with the two knobs
- open the diaphragm until the hexagon touches the field edge simultaneously.
- Components to adjust for DIC images.
- Polarizer (second ring filter on top)
- DIC Prism in the Condenser (e.g. 100X Objective, should choose DIC III on LCD display)
- Turn the prism under Objectives (Slide in to be functional).
- Polarizer in the Motorized Diachroic (Analyzer, DIC).
- To get a focus, use 10x objective first, focus, hit the “objectives” button to switch the objective to higher magnifications, fine adjust the focus to get a better view.
- If using low voltage/intensity for Halogen Lamp and seeing yellow color, put the First ring filter in position to balance the color.