Volunteer Survey - P004
Consumer of electricity
- Asked questions about electricity information that would be presented on the screen
- Wondered whether the survey would contain questions about herself, or would the survey be used to see how the utility can make things better
- Her initial thought was to agree to volunteer because she was being paid for her time for the experiment
- Might have answered different if she took the survey at home
- Would have looked at her schedule ahead of time
- Better if she knew how many extra questions there were
- Had a good understanding of the text
- Was skeptical about the questionnaire. Not sure why it was implemented, but would guess it was to see if she is a representative customer of the DC region
- Raises questions and would help to see the questionnaire. How personal are the questions? Would it ask for more personal questions or more general questions?
- Does not see a document that guarantees confidentiality, wants something to sign
- Would not participate for concerns of privacy and confidentiality
Questions About You
Q672 Hours @ home
- On average?
- Day time only? or include time when sleeping at home?
Questions About Energy Efficiency
Q16 Avrg Household ...
- Anecdotal response because she has no frame of reference
- Same as above
- Same as above
- No clue as to how representative her household is compared to the rest of the city
- Didn't really think about this fact until I asked her to explain her answer, she had to stop and think about it a bit
- Recognized that it would be hard to gauge, and her answers are just an impression
Q577 Messages ...
- A message that resonates with her
- Not very important to her
- Understood that it is a geopolitical issue. Gave it a 4 and not a 5 because some schemes, such as fracking, have some serious environmental hazards she might not be aware of
- Deeply felt concern, but not an activist by any means
- Says the image of the spaceship reminds her that there is a need for cooperation, altruism, ingenuity, and creativity
- There might be colonization of other planets in the future
- Thinks the analogy is a bit extreme
- Does not like the idea of dominating nature. We don't know enough right now to actually dominate without causing adverse reactions.
- Sustainability entails limits, not safe to think growth as having no limits
- What she knows about balance from the past, its better to assume that the balance is easily upset
More Questions About Energy Efficiency
Q579 Tech adoption + eco purchases ...
- I have purchased a household appliance...
- Have never actually purchased a household appliance
- I am always eager to be the first to buy...
- Not enthusiastic about technology
- I understand the potential damage to the environment...
- Nothing comes to mind when thinking about clear and present hazard. Needs to be able to quantify the harm and a lot of grey area.
- I have switched products...
- Same reason as above, but is usually constrained by budgetary issues
- I feel that I personally have control over...
- Doesn't really pay enough attention to control nor is it that big of an issue. Just avoids waste
- When I have a choice between two equal products...
- Constrained by budget
- I only buy new products after the ones I have wear out...
Electricity Use Questions (Part I)
- Your utility
- Duquene seems honest and willing to clarify any problems. Certain degree of mistrust of corporations & gov't entities so did not answer a lot.
- Reason for mistrust of corporation is that their main goal is profit
- Scientific findings can be replicated. The way the community is set up allows people to confirm findings. Maybe not all the individuals are trustworthy, but the community as a whole
- Not really integrated into her community, so don't know how much she can trust them
- Government (local and federal)
- Certain degree of mistrust because politics might get int he way
- Not really close to co-workers
- Not sure why some of these questions were in the section, such as flu shot, public library, etc
- Do housemates count?
- Wants daily electricity use (totals)
- Wants to break down usage by appliance
- Have it for a year at minimum
- Enjoy would not be the word she would use
- I would save...
- Needs an objective gauge to see if she can save rather than her own subjective gauge