Ventricular assist device
A Ventricular assist device is an electromechanical pump used for assisting blood circulation. It is used to decrease the workload of a failing heart.
The are 3 types of VAD:
- right ventricle VAD (RVAD)
- left ventricle VAD (LVAD)
- both ventricles VAD (BiVAD)
These main types of VAD's may either have a pulsatile or a continuous flow pump.
Following companies make VAD's:
- Thoratec (manufactures the HeartMate II, HeartMate III, and HeartMate XVE)
- Berlin Heart (manufactures the Incor, and Excor)
- HeartWare (manufactures the HVAD, and MVAD)
- ReliantHeart (manufactures the HeartAssist5)
- WorldHeart (manufactures the Novacor)