Nov 7 - Class Paper
- Review X-Ray data
- Synthesize beads
- Review Class Paper information
Michael continued to represent AMT with bead synthesis. The following are notes fromhis notebook
Synthesize beads with Mary and Melvin.
- Stir 30 mL of ethyl acetate + 500 uL of glutaraldehyde
- Add your PVA-clay (approximately .5 g of PVA and .0575 g NaMT) in a dropwise manner. Immediately start timing the reaction for 2 minutes when you do the first drop.
- After 2 minutes, slowly add 7 mL of 0.2 M NaHCO3.
- Once completed, transfer to a falcon tube and centrifuge for 1 minute at 3000 rpm, rotor 41.
- When beads are separated from the organic phase, pipet out the organic phase and re-suspend the beads in distilled water.
Protocol adopted from Mary.
XRD results were saved using the following instructions
- PDXL- click OK
- Load data
- Use first two columns to graph
- In the graphs the 1st peak would be any sodium, 2nd peak Tape and PVA, 3rd Peak Pan
- mg analyte/mass polymer
- Beads, PVA, PVA with clay
- Other Absorbents like activated carbon and zeolite (this makes the experiments relevant)
- stocks always the same across the groups, measure each day and use calibration curves averages
- Other measurements
- Bead size