The Ohio State University
Department of Microbiology
Riffe Building, Room 932
496 W 12th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
Background and Research Interests
Suzanne Hodgkins joined the Rich lab in January 2018. Her research interests include the interactions between microbiology, organic matter chemistry, and methane emissions in northern peatlands from local to global scales. Coming from a biogeochemistry background, Suzanne is now expanding her focus to include bioinformatics and interdisciplinary data management using large-scale graph databases.
For more information, check out Suzanne's LinkedIn profile.
- 2016, PhD, Earth, Ocean, & Atmospheric Science, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, USA. Advisor: Jeffrey Chanton
- 2010, BA, Chemistry, Earlham College, Richmond, IN, USA.
- Hodgkins SB, Tfaily MM, Podgorski DC, McCalley CK, Saleska SR, Crill PM, Rich VI, Chanton JP, Cooper WT (2016). Elemental composition and optical properties reveal changes in dissolved organic matter along a permafrost thaw chronosequence in a subarctic peatland. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 187:123–140.
- Hodgkins SB, Chanton JP, Langford LC, McCalley CK, Saleska SR, Rich VI, Crill PM, Cooper WT (2015). Soil incubations reproduce field methane dynamics in a subarctic wetland. Biogeochemistry 126:241–249.
- Hodgkins SB, Tfaily MM, McCalley CK, Logan TA, Crill PM, Saleska SR, Rich VI, Chanton JP (2014). Changes in peat chemistry associated with permafrost thaw increase greenhouse gas production. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 111:5819–5824.
- Mondav R, McCalley CK, Hodgkins SB, Frolking S, Saleska SR, Rich VI, Chanton JP, Crill PM (2017). Microbial network, phylogenetic diversity and community membership in the active layer across a permafrost thaw gradient. Environ. Microbiol. 19:3201–3218.
- McCalley CK, Woodcroft BJ, Hodgkins SB, Wehr RA, Kim E-H, Mondav R, Crill PM, Chanton JP, Rich VI, Tyson GW, Saleska SR (2014). Methane dynamics regulated by microbial community response to permafrost thaw. Nature 514:478–481.
- Mondav R, Woodcroft BJ, Kim E-H, McCalley CK, Hodgkins SB, Crill PM, Chanton J, Hurst GB, VerBerkmoes NC, Saleska SR, Hugenholtz P, Rich VI, Tyson GW (2014). Discovery of a novel methanogen prevalent in thawing permafrost. Nat. Commun. 5:3212.
- Tfaily MM, Hodgkins S, Podgorski DC, Chanton JP, Cooper WT (2012). Comparison of dialysis and solid-phase extraction for isolation and concentration of dissolved organic matter prior to Fourier transform ion cyclotron resonance mass spectrometry. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 404:447–457.