- To learn about Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR), Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) and X-ray Powder Diffraction (XRD). Additionally, for this lab we'll be working on those devices to get spectra for the lysozyme AuNP fibers (using the 5 mL) fiber samples that we have prepared previously.
- Before preparing the appropriate samples for each device, all 10 tubes of fibers were transferred into 5 falcon tubes. The fibers were centrifuged for 5 mins at 4000 R. These centrifuged fibers were used to prepare samples for each device.
- 1st: Sample prepration for XRD:
- Drops of fibers were added into the appropriate amount of PlayDo and mixed together. The fiber-PlayDo sample was placed into the special lid for XRD.
- 2nd: Sample preparation for DSC:
- The masses of 4 lids and pans were recorded.
- 2 lids and pans were used for the fiber and the other two were used for lysozyme.
- For fiber:
- lid and pan mass = 51.37 mg
- sample mass = 3.49 mg
- sample+lid+pan mass = 53.73 mg
- lid and pan mass = 50.80 mg
- sample mass = 4.43 mg
- sample+lid+pan mass = 53.74 mg
- lid and pan mass = 51.237 mg
- sample mass = 3.04 mg
- sample+lid+pan mass = 54.38 mg
- lid and pan mass = 50.71 mg
- sample mass = 3.63 mg
- sample+lid+pan mass = 54.44 mg
- The four samples were pressed three times using a pressor.
- Sample 1 was placed in well #27 in the DSC. The samples 2, 3 and 4 were placed in wells 28, 29 and 30.
- The cycling procedure:
- Equilibrate at 20°C
- Ramp up to 5°C/min and to 100°C.
- Isothermal - 3 mins
- Ramp down to 5°C/min and to 20°C
- Repeat (blue arrow)
- Lastly, external event (OFF)
- Add data and results here...
This area is for any observations or conclusions that you would like to note.
Use categories like tags. Change the "Course" category to the one corresponding to your course. The "Miscellaneous" tag can be used for particular experiments, as instructed by your professor. Please be sure to change or delete this tag as required so that the categories remain well organized.