- Margarida Gama-Carvalho
- Assistant Professor, Faculty of Sciences, Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Lisbon
- BioFIG - Center for Functional and Integrative Genomics, Faculty of Sciences
- Faculdade de Ciências de Lisboa, Campo Grande, Edifício C8, Gabinete 8.2.53
- 1749-016 Lisboa, Portugal
- Email me through OpenWetWare
- 2003, PhD in Biomedical Sciences/Cell and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon
- 2000, MS in Cell and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon
- 1994, BS in Biology/Zoology, Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon
- Since 2011: Assistant Professor, Faculty of Sciences, Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Lisbon
- Since 2009: Head of the Gene Expression and Bioinformatics Unit and RNA Biology and Bioinformatics Lab, BioFIG Center, Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon
- 2003 to 2011: Assistant Professor, Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon
- 2003: Visiting post-doctoral fellow, Pam Silver's lab, Dana Farber Cancer Institute/Harvard Medical School
- 1996 to 2003: Teaching Assistant, Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon
- Post-transcriptional control of gene expression by RNA binding proteins and microRNAs
- Development of therapeutical applications
- Systems and synthetic biology
- Brás-Rosário L, Matsuda A, Pinheiro AI, Gardner R, Lopes T, Amaral A, and Gama-Carvalho M. Expression profile of microRNAs regulating proliferation and differentiation in mouse adult cardiac stem cells. PLoS One. 2013;8(5):e63041. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0063041 |
- Moura-Alves P, Neves-Costa A, Raquel H, Pacheco TR, D'Almeida B, Rodrigues R, Cadima-Couto I, Chora Â, Oliveira M, Gama-Carvalho M, Hacohen N, and Moita LF. An shRNA-based screen of splicing regulators identifies SFRS3 as a negative regulator of IL-1β secretion. PLoS One. 2011;6(5):e19829. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0019829 |
- Barreto-Hernadez E, Gama-Carvalho M, and Sousa L. Pre-processing optimization of RNA immunoprecipitation microarray data. J Comput Biol. 2011 Oct;18(10):1319-28. DOI:10.1089/cmb.2010.0020 |
- Gama-Carvalho M, Barbosa-Morais NL, Brodsky AS, Silver PA, and Carmo-Fonseca M. Genome-wide identification of functionally distinct subsets of cellular mRNAs associated with two nucleocytoplasmic-shuttling mammalian splicing factors. Genome Biol. 2006;7(11):R113. DOI:10.1186/gb-2006-7-11-r113 |
- Lindberg A, Gama-Carvalho M, Carmo-Fonseca M, and Kreivi JP. A single RNA recognition motif in splicing factor ASF/SF2 directs it to nuclear sites of adenovirus transcription. J Gen Virol. 2004 Mar;85(Pt 3):603-8. DOI:10.1099/vir.0.19722-0 |
- Gama-Carvalho M, Condado I, and Carmo-Fonseca M. Regulation of adenovirus alternative RNA splicing correlates with a reorganization of splicing factors in the nucleus. Exp Cell Res. 2003 Sep 10;289(1):77-85.
- Gama-Carvalho M and Carmo-Fonseca M. The rules and roles of nucleocytoplasmic shuttling proteins. FEBS Lett. 2001 Jun 8;498(2-3):157-63.
- Gama-Carvalho M, Carvalho MP, Kehlenbach A, Valcarcel J, and Carmo-Fonseca M. Nucleocytoplasmic shuttling of heterodimeric splicing factor U2AF. J Biol Chem. 2001 Apr 20;276(16):13104-12. DOI:10.1074/jbc.M008759200 |
- Gama-Carvalho M, Krauss RD, Chiang L, Valcárcel J, Green MR, and Carmo-Fonseca M. Targeting of U2AF65 to sites of active splicing in the nucleus. J Cell Biol. 1997 Jun 2;137(5):975-87. DOI:10.1083/jcb.137.5.975 |
Gama-Carvalho M., and Carmo-Fonseca, M. (2006). Heterokaryon assays. In "Cell Biology – a Laboratory Handbook", ed. Julio Celis, Academic Press, London, UK.
Gama-Carvalho M., and Carmo-Fonseca, M. (2007). Tráfego de RNA e patogénese. In “O Mundo do RNA: Novos desafios e Perspectivas Futuras”, ed. Cecília M. Arraiano e Arsénio M. Fialho, Lidel, Lisboa, Portugal.
- Molecular Biology - Health Sciences