Kevin G. Hoff
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
1200 E. California Blvd. MC 210-41
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA 91125
khoff at caltech dot edu
I am a member of the Smolke Lab at Caltech. My research is directed toward developing in vivo biosensors with the ability to detect fluctuations in metabolite and protein concentrations as well as post-translational modifications.
My background is in the study of protein structure-function relationships. Through this work I have become interested in the changes in protein modifications and metabolite flux that occur during the cell cycle. I am particularly interested in the way post-translational modifications and small molecules influence epigenetic control of transcription.
- 2005-present Postdoctoral Scholar, Laboratory of Dr. Christina D. Smolke, Caltech
- 2002-2005 HHMI Post-Doctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Dr. Cynthia Wolberger, The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
- 2002 Ph.D. Biophysics, Laboratory of Dr. Larry E. Vickery, University of California, Irvine.
- 1996 B. A. Biology/Chemistry Minor, California State University, Fullerton
- Hoff KG, Goodlitt R, Li R, Smolke CD, and Silberg JJ. Fluorescence detection of a protein-bound 2Fe2S cluster. Chembiochem. 2009 Mar 2;10(4):667-70. DOI:10.1002/cbic.200800747 |
- Bayer TS, Hoff KG, Beisel CL, Lee JJ, and Smolke CD. Synthetic control of a fitness tradeoff in yeast nitrogen metabolism. J Biol Eng. 2009 Jan 2;3:1. DOI:10.1186/1754-1611-3-1 |
- Beisel CL, Bayer TS, Hoff KG, and Smolke CD. Model-guided design of ligand-regulated RNAi for programmable control of gene expression. Mol Syst Biol. 2008;4:224. DOI:10.1038/msb.2008.62 |
- Hawse WF, Hoff KG, Fatkins DG, Daines A, Zubkova OV, Schramm VL, Zheng W, and Wolberger C. Structural insights into intermediate steps in the Sir2 deacetylation reaction. Structure. 2008 Sep 10;16(9):1368-77. DOI:10.1016/j.str.2008.05.015 |
- Hoff KG, Avalos JL, Sens K, and Wolberger C. Insights into the sirtuin mechanism from ternary complexes containing NAD+ and acetylated peptide. Structure. 2006 Aug;14(8):1231-40. DOI:10.1016/j.str.2006.06.006 |
- Previewed in Smith BC and Denu JM. Sirtuins caught in the act. Structure. 2006 Aug;14(8):1207-8.
- Hoff KG and Wolberger C. Getting a grip on O-acetyl-ADP-ribose. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2005 Jul;12(7):560-1. DOI:10.1038/nsmb0705-560 |
- Silberg JJ, Tapley TL, Hoff KG, and Vickery LE. Regulation of the HscA ATPase reaction cycle by the co-chaperone HscB and the iron-sulfur cluster assembly protein IscU. J Biol Chem. 2004 Dec 24;279(52):53924-31. DOI:10.1074/jbc.M410117200 |
- Hoff KG, Cupp-Vickery JR, and Vickery LE. Contributions of the LPPVK motif of the iron-sulfur template protein IscU to interactions with the Hsc66-Hsc20 chaperone system. J Biol Chem. 2003 Sep 26;278(39):37582-9. DOI:10.1074/jbc.M305292200 |
- Hoff KG, Ta DT, Tapley TL, Silberg JJ, and Vickery LE. Hsc66 substrate specificity is directed toward a discrete region of the iron-sulfur cluster template protein IscU. J Biol Chem. 2002 Jul 26;277(30):27353-9. DOI:10.1074/jbc.M202814200 |
- Urbina HD, Silberg JJ, Hoff KG, and Vickery LE. Transfer of sulfur from IscS to IscU during Fe/S cluster assembly. J Biol Chem. 2001 Nov 30;276(48):44521-6. DOI:10.1074/jbc.M106907200 |
- Voisine C, Cheng YC, Ohlson M, Schilke B, Hoff K, Beinert H, Marszalek J, and Craig EA. Jac1, a mitochondrial J-type chaperone, is involved in the biogenesis of Fe/S clusters in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001 Feb 13;98(4):1483-8. DOI:10.1073/pnas.98.4.1483 |
- Silberg JJ, Hoff KG, Tapley TL, and Vickery LE. The Fe/S assembly protein IscU behaves as a substrate for the molecular chaperone Hsc66 from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2001 Jan 19;276(3):1696-700. DOI:10.1074/jbc.M009542200 |
- Hoff KG, Silberg JJ, and Vickery LE. Interaction of the iron-sulfur cluster assembly protein IscU with the Hsc66/Hsc20 molecular chaperone system of Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000 Jul 5;97(14):7790-5. DOI:10.1073/pnas.130201997 |
- Garland SA, Hoff K, Vickery LE, and Culotta VC. Saccharomyces cerevisiae ISU1 and ISU2: members of a well-conserved gene family for iron-sulfur cluster assembly. J Mol Biol. 1999 Dec 10;294(4):897-907. DOI:10.1006/jmbi.1999.3294 |
- Silberg JJ, Hoff KG, and Vickery LE. The Hsc66-Hsc20 chaperone system in Escherichia coli: chaperone activity and interactions with the DnaK-DnaJ-grpE system. J Bacteriol. 1998 Dec;180(24):6617-24. DOI:10.1128/JB.180.24.6617-6624.1998 |
Protocols and Recipes
Recipes and other stuff