Department of Bioengineering
Center for Cardiovascular Biology
Institute of Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine
University of Washington
E-Mail : deokho at uw dot edu,
For more information, DH Kim's laboratory website
His research interests include micro- and nanoengineering of the cell environment, development and applications of lab-on-a-chip technologies and advanced biomaterials in stem cells and tissue engineering, and micro- and nanotechnologies for cell mechanobiology. He has also contributed to the fields of micro/nano-robotics, biomimetics, advanced man-machine interface for micro/nano-biomanipulation, and cellular biomechanics. He has authored and co-authored more than 100 peer-reviewed journal publications and conference papers, 4 book chapters, and 11 patents issued and pending (including 4 U.S. patents) in the areas of micro/nanotechnology, biomaterials, biomechanics, and cell/tissue engineering.
Education and Training
- Ph.D. Department of Biomedical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, MD, USA, Aug. 2005 – Jan. 2010
- Research Scientist, Microsystem Research Center, Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST), Seoul, Korea, 2000-2005.
- Visiting Scholar, Institute for Robotics and Intelligent Systems, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETHZ), Switzerland, 2003-2004 (Supervisor: Dr. Bradley J. Nelson).
- M.Sc. School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 2000
- B.S. Department of Mechanical Engineering, POSTECH, Pohang, Korea, 1998
- Exchange Student in Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering, University of Birmingham, UK, Aug. 1996 to Jan. 1997.
Honors and Academic Awards
- Harold M. Weintraub Graduate Student Award, 2010.
- Samsung HumanTech Thesis Award - Silver Prize, 2009.
- Keystone Symposia Travel Award (Cardiac Disease: Development, Regeneration, and Repair), 2009.
- Best poster presentation award, the Baltimore Life Scientists Association Annual Meeting, 2009.
- KASBP-Daewoong Fellowship, Korean American Society in Biotech and Pharmaceuticals, 2009.
- Graduate Student Travel Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2009.
- American Heart Association Predoctoral Fellowship, 2008 - 2010.
- The first Baltimore Life Scientists Association (BLSA) Outstanding Scientist Award, 2008.
- Graduate Student Travel Award, the Society of Physical Regulation in Biology and Medicine, 2008.
- Best Presentation Award, the Korean-American Scientists and Engineers Association (KSEA)'s Young Generation Technical and Leadership Conference, 2008.
- The first Surface Engineering Best Paper Award, the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers, 2007.
- Included in Marquis Who’s Who in the World, 24th edition, 2007
- KUSCO/KSEA Scholarship for the Graduate Students, Korea-U.S. Science Cooperation Center, USA, 2006.
- Whitaker Foundation Graduate Fellowship, 2005-2007.
- Best Presentation Award in International Conference on Control, Automation, and Systems (ICCAS 2005), Ilsan, Korea, 2005.
- Distinguished Achievement Award of KIST (“KIST People Award”), Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST), Korea, 2005.
- Prize for Excellent Researcher of the year, Future Technology Research Division, Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST), Korea, 2004.
- Recipient of KOSEF Oversea Research Fellowship sponsored by the Korea Science and Engineering Foundation (KOSEF), 2003.
- Best Student Paper Award, the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers (KSME), Fall Annual Meeting, Korea, 1999.
- Best Student Poster Paper Award, the Korean Society of Precision Engineers (KSPE), Spring Annual Meeting, Korea, 1999.
- Hogil-Kim Memorial Fellow Exchange Student, University of Birmingham, UK, 1996.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Papers
- D.H. Kim*, H.J. Lee*, Y.K. Lee, J.M. Nam, and A. Levchenko, "Biomimetic nanopatterns as enabling tools for analysis and control of live cells," Advanced Materials, 2010. (in press)
- D.H. Kim*, E. Lipke*, P. Kim, R. Cheong, S. Edmonds, M. Delannoy, K.Y. Suh, L.Tung, and A. Levchenko, "Nanoscale cues regulate the structure and function of macroscopic cardiac tissue constructs," Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA., vol.107, pp. 565-570, 2010. (Press released)
- D.H. Kim#, P. Wong, J.Y. Park, A. Levchenko, and Y. Sun#, Microengineered platform for cell mechanobiology, Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 11, pp.203-233, 2009. (# denotes corresponding authors)
- D.H. Kim*, C. Seo*, K. Han, K. Kwon, A. Levchenko and K.Y. Suh, "Guided cell migration on microtextured substrates with variable local density and anisotropy," Advanced Functional Materials, vol.19, pp.1579-1586, 2009. (Featured as a Frontispiece)
- D.H. Kim, K. Han, K. Gupta, K. Kwon, K.Y. Suh, and A. Levchenko, "Mechanosensitivity of fibroblast cell shape and movement to anisotropic substratum topography gradients," Biomaterials, vol. 30, pp. 5433-5444, 2009.
- D.H. Kim, J.Y. Park, K.Y. Suh, P. Kim, S.K. Choi. S.C. Ryu, S.H. Park, S.H. Lee and B. Kim, Fabrication of patterned micromuscles with high activity for powering biohybrid microdevices, Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 117, pp.391-400, 2006.
- K.Y. Suh, H.E. Jeong, D.H. Kim, A.R. Singh, and E.S. Yoon, Capillarity-assisted fabrication of nanostructures using less permeable mold for nanotribological applications, Journal of Applied Physics, vol.100, 2006.
- D.H. Kim, P. Kim, I.S. Song, J.M. Cha, S.H. Lee, B. Kim, and K.Y. Suh, Guided three-dimensional growth of functional cardiomyocytes on polyethylene glycol nanostructures, Langmuir, vol.22, no.12, pp.5419-5426, 2006.
- E.S. Yoon, R.A. Singh, H.S. Kong, B. Kim, D.H. Kim, H.E. Jeong, and K.Y. Suh, “Tribological properties of bio-mimetic nano-patterned polymeric surfaces on silicon wafer,” Tribology Letters, vol.21, pp.31-37, 2006. (the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers, Surface Engineering Best Paper Award)
- D.H. Kim, C.N. Hwang, Y. Sun, B. Kim, S.H. Lee, and B. Nelson, Mechanical analysis of chorion softening in pre-hatching stages of zebrafish embryos, IEEE Transactions on Nanobioscience, vol.5, no.2, pp.89-94, 2006.
- J.Y. Park, S.M. Kim, D.H. Kim, B. Kim, S.J. Kwon, J.O. Park, and K.I. Lee, Identification and Control of a Sensorized Microgripper for Micromanipulation, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol.10, no.5, pp.601-606, 2005.
- P.N. Kim, D.H. Kim, B. Kim, S.K. Choi, S.H. Lee, A. Khademhosseini, R. Langer, and K.Y. Suh, Fabrication of Nanostructures of Poly(ethylene glycol) for Application to Protein Adsorption and Cell Adhesion, Nanotechnology, vol.16, pp.2420-2426, 2005.
- B. Kim, D.H. Kim, J.H. Jung, and J.O. Park, A Biomimetic Undulatory Tadpole Robot using Ionic Polymer-Metal Composite Actuators, Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 14, pp.1579-1585, 2005.
- D.H. Kim, M.G. Lee, B. Kim, and Y. Sun, A Superelastic Alloy Microgripper with Embedded Electromagnetic Actuators and Piezoelectric Sensors: a Numerical and Experimental Study, Smart Materials and Structures, vol.14, pp.1265-1272, 2005.
- D.H. Kim, Y. Sun, S. Yun, S.H. Lee, and B. Kim, Investigating Chorion Softening of Zebrafish Embryos with a Microrobotic Force Sensing System, Journal of Biomechanics, vol.38, no.6, pp.1359-1363, 2005.
- A. Haake, A. Neild, D.H. Kim, J.E. Ihm, Y. Sun, J. Dual, and B.K. Ju, Manipulation of Cells using an Ultrasonic Pressure Field, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol.31, no.6, pp.857-864, 2005.
- D.H. Kim, B. Kim, and H.J. Kang, Development of a Piezoelectric Polymer-based Sensorized Microgripper for Micromanipulation and Microassembly, Microsystem Technologies, vol.10, no.4, pp.275-280, 2004.
Book Chapters and Magazine Articles
- Y. Sun, D.H. Kim, and A. Hashemi, Biological cell sorting automation, Life Science Automation: Fundamentals and Applications, M.J. Zhang, B.J. Nelson and R.A. Felder (Eds.), Artech House Publishers, invited chapter, to appear in 2007.
- D.H. Kim, A. Levchenko, and K.Y. Suh, Surface nanotopography for controlling cell-substrate interactions, Micro- and Nanoengineering of the Cell Microenvironment: Technologies and Applications, A. Khademhosseini, J. Borenstein, S. Takayama, and M. Toner (Eds.), Artech House Publishers, invited chapter, to appear in 2007.
- D.H. Kim, B. Kim, B.K. Ju, and J.O. Park, State of the art in nano-biomanipulation technologies, Journal of Control, Automation and Systems Engineering, vol.11, no.4, pp.353-362, 2005.
- K. Kim and D.H. Kim, State-of the Art Review of Micro-Nano Manipulation, ICASE Magazine, Vol.9, No.2, pp.40-44, 2003.
- K. Kim and D.H. Kim, Micro-Nano Robot Technology, Mechanical Automation Technology, pp.8-20, 2003.
- D.H. Kim, K. Kim, T.S. Kim, and J.O. Park, State-of-the Art Review of Microactuators and its Applications to Microrobot Developments, ICASE Magazine, Vol.7, No.1, pp.42-51, 2001.
- Mechanochemical regulation of multicellular form and function with nanoscale cues: implications for cancer metastasis, wound repair, and tissue engineering, Baltimore Life Scientists Association, Baltimore, MD, USA, Feb., 23, 2010.
- Multi-scale mechanobiology for cell and tissue engineering using nano/micropatterned biomaterials, Korea Institute of Machine and Materials, Daejeon, Korea, Feb., 6, 2009.
- Multi-scale mechanobiology for cell and tissue engineering using nano/micropatterned biomaterials, Adult Stem Cell Research Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, Feb., 3, 2009.
- Analysis and engineering of cell function with nanoscale cues, BME Student Seminar Series, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, January 23, 2009.
- Regulation of cell function by local force and geometry sensing: implications for biology and regenerative medicine, Department of Chemistry and Nanoscience, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea, Dec., 11, 2008.
- Regulation of cell function by local force and geometry sensing: implications for biology and regenerative medicine, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Korea University, Seoul, Korea, Dec., 11, 2008.
- Regulation of cell function by local force and geometry sensing: implications for integrative biology and regenerative medicine, Department of Mechanical Engineering, POSTECH, Pohang, Korea, Dec., 10, 2008.
- Sensing by touch in tumors, hearts, and stem cells: contact-mediated signaling and function of living cells on chips, Nano-Bio Research Center, Korea Institute of Science and Technology, Seoul, Korea, Dec., 9, 2008. D.-H. Kim CV 15/17
- Regulation of cell function by local force and geometry sensing: implications for tissue engineering and biology, Department of Mechanical Engineering, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea, Dec., 8, 2008.
- Sensing by touch: contact-mediated signaling and function of living cells on chips, Interdisciplinary Graduate Program of Bioengineering and Micro Thermal System Research Center, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, Dec., 5, 2008.
- Nano-engineering the cell-matrix interface: implications for tissue engineering and cell-based regenerative therapies, Baltimore Life Scientists Association, Baltimore, MD, USA, Nov., 15, 2008.
- BioMicrorobotics and BioMEMS for Cell Bioengineering: From Single Cell Manipulation to Cell Separation, Laboratoire d'Automatique de Besançon (LAB), UMR CNRS, France, April 15, 2004.
- Microrobotic Devices and MEMS-Based Cell Chips for Biomedical Applications, Laboratoire de systèmes robotiques, Institut de Production et Robotique, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL), Lausanne, Switzerland, Feb. 24, 2004.
- Micromechatronics for Microassembly and Biomanipulation, Institute of Robotics and Intelligent Systems (IRIS), Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETHZ), Zurich, Switzerland, Nov., 28, 2003.
- Robotic Manipulation at the Micro/Nanoscale, special workshop on “Paradigm Shift in Next Generation Robotic Technology in Industry: Micro-Nano Robot” (organized by Korea Machine Tool Manufactures’ Association), Seoul, Korea, July 24, 2002.