- Seem to have successfully fixed the behavior when getting over parameterized models. See diffs against the git log for details.
- Will work on acceleration of code (avoiding refitting), meanwhile a little more trouble shooting and queuing some long runs.
- ace function fails on certain data sets for unknown reasons. Think rewriting this from scratch will be an important step.
Mixture Models in Bayesian context
- Josh sent me this paper regarding our discussion on model choice in Bayesian context last Friday.
- Settled on workstation, completed final pricing adjustments. Now seeking approval from Krell / CSGF.
Misc / Reading
- Looks like a fantastic class on model choice, should sit in. Read through the slides for weeks 1 & 2 so far. Every practicing ecologist should read the week 2 presentation.
In Science today
- Empowering Young Scientists an international NAS for young scientists. Interesting motivation but why exclusive membership? How about ways as a better model.
- Excellent science-2.0 / future of science post. Forwarded to openscience discussion group. favorite quote:
"If shoestores operated like scientists trading ideas, first Alice and Bob would need to get to know one another, maybe go for a few beers in a nearby bar. Only then would Alice finally say “you know, I’m looking for some shoes”. After a pause, and a few more beers, Bob would say “You know what, I just happen to have some shoes I’m looking to sell”. Every working scientist recognizes this dance; I know scientists who worry less about selling their house than they do about exchanging scientific information."