User:Andy Maloney/Notebook/Lab Notebook of Andy Maloney/2009/04/10/Gel electrophoresis
Anthony has GRD $$. So we brainstormed on how we should use it. Getting a gel electrophoresis came up. I contacted the VWR people and they gave me this flier. They also wanted to know specific questions such as:
- Will we use it for imaging?
- Steve Koch 14:44, 11 April 2009 (EDT): I don't know what they mean by imaging
- Will we use it for purification?
- Steve Koch 14:44, 11 April 2009 (EDT): Yes
- Will we use it for both imaging and purification?
- How long are the DNA fragments?
- Steve Koch 14:44, 11 April 2009 (EDT): 100 to 10,000 basepairs
Anthony also asked whether or not we should get a vertical one.
Steve Koch 14:44, 11 April 2009 (EDT): I think we can hold off on the vertical (PAGE) one for now. The questions from VWR are strange. Bio-Rad is another common source of gel electrophoresis systems. If VWR, I think we want:
- 89032-288 (Mini 7) However Anthony should comment on whether this will work for what he's currently been doing.
- With enough money, we may want to get more than one, but I don't think will be necessary. Extra trays can be convenient.
- I think we want the 250V power supply (the more expensive one). The reason is, we may want to do constant power someday.
- An important missing piece is the UV transilluminator. Nas and I (and maybe others) found some of these from Fisher or elsewhere. Approx. $1,000. I can't find them on VWR right now, and I can't access the private wiki for some reason.