UA Biophysics: Lyophilizer
From OpenWetWareJump to navigationJump to search
To get authorization to use it, please send an email to Lab manager.
Before beginning any work on the equipment, make sure it is in good condition. If something does not seem right, should be reported to the lab manager.
TURN ON THE EQUIPMENT:
- Look into the chamber across the window to ensure that it is free of moisture and that all parts are aligned.
- If there is excess moisture, remove it with a clean dry paper towel.
- Check that each sample valve should be closed. The bevel on the gray knob should be positioned toward the small hole in the Vent port.
- Turn on the lyophilizer using the power switch on the lateral panel to start the refrigeration system and wait 30 min.
- When the temperature reaches -40°C, turn on the vacuum pump (under the table) and wait almost 30 min. When the vacuum in the system is above 5 mBar the vacuum display will indicate “HI.” At 5 mBar and below, the display will show the actual vacuum.
- When the system vacuum level is <0.133 mBar, the samples may be added.
- Connect a pre-frozen sample to a sample valve on the drying chamber and open the valve. The bevel on the knob should be positioned toward the sample port to apply vacuum to the sample.
- Before adding another sample, allow the system vacuum to return to 0.133 mBar or lower.
- When the cycle is complete before removing the sample, release the system vacuum by closing the valve.
- Turn OFF the Main Power Switch on the right-hand side of the cabinet
- turn OFF the vacuum pump