Program in Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Ph.D., Microbiology and Molecular Genetics (May 2012)
Dissertation: Bistability in Pseudomonas aeruginosa
University of Iowa
B.S., Microbiology with Honors and Computer Science (May 2006)
The University of Texas at Austin
Postdoctoral Fellow (2012-present)
Advisor: Marvin Whiteley
- Project: Fitness determinants of P. aeruginosa for growth in disease conditions
- Investigating the genetic requirements for P. aeruginosa growth in CF lung secretions
- Map the conditionally essential genome for burn wound infection and systemic invasion
- Project: Mapping all synthetic genetic interactions in a bacterium using second-generation sequencing
Ph.D. Student (2006-2012)
Advisor: Simon L. Dove
- Project: An epigenetic switch that controls virulence gene expression in P. aeruginosa
- Characterized the bistable BexR regulon in P. aeruginosa
- Determined a requirement for positive feedback in bistable expression of bexR and the bexR regulon
- Project: Control of cupA fimbrial gene expression in P. aeruginosa by the LysR-type transcription regulator MexT
- Discovered a role for PrrA, an unannotated sRNA encoded downstream of the MexT-regulated mexEFoprN antibiotic efflux pump genes, in bistable cupA gene expression
- Generated evidence suggesting that PrrA negatively regulates the H-NS-like protein MvaU
- Project: Inducible protein degradation in P. aeruginosa
- Adapted a targeted protein depletion system for use in P. aeruginosa and demonstrated its utility in determining the co-essentiality of the H-NS-like proteins MvaT and MvaU
University of Iowa
Research Assistant (2002-2006)
Advisor: Michael A. Apicella
- Project: Biochemistry of sialic acid transport in Haemophilus influenzae
- Purified the sialic acid transport protein SiaP and characterized its sugar-binding biochemistry
Google Scholar profile
- Keith H Turner, Heather R McManus, Seth R Goldman, Kirsty A McFarland, Isabelle Vallet-Gely, Bryce E Nickels, and Simon L Dove (2014). Silencing by a H-NS family member is antagonized by a small RNA in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Submitted.
- Keith H Turner, Jake Everett, Urvish Trivedi, Kendra P Rumbaugh, and Marvin Whiteley (2014). Requirements for Pseudomonas aeruginosa chronic and acute wound infection. PLoS Genet: In revision.
- Peter Jorth, Keith H Turner, Pinar Gumus, Nejat Nizam, Nurcan Buduneli, and Marvin Whiteley (2014). Metatranscriptomics of the human oral microbiome during health and disease. mBio 5(2): e01012-14. PubMed mBio PDF
- Justine L Murray, Jodi L Connell, Apollo Stacy, Keith H Turner*, and Marvin Whiteley* (2014). Mechanisms of synergy in polymicrobial infections. J Microbiol 52(3): 188-99. PubMed J Microbiol PDF
- Deepak Balasubramanian, Hansi Kumari, Melita Jaric, Mitch Fernandez, Keith H Turner, Simon L Dove, Giri Narasimhan, Stephen Lory, and Kalai Mathee (2014). Deep sequencing analyses expands the Pseudomonas aeruginosa AmpR regulon to include small RNA-mediated regulation of iron acquisition, heat-shock and the oxidative stress response. Nucleic Acids Res 42(2): 979-98. PubMed Nucleic Acids Res PDF
- Alan Basset, Keith H Turner, Elizabeth Boush, Sabina Sayeed, Simon L Dove, and Richard Malley (2012). An epigenetic switch mediates bistable expression of the type I pilus genes in Streptococcus pneumoniae. J Bacteriol 194(5): 1088-91. PubMed J Bacteriol PDF
- Alan Basset, Keith H Turner, Elizabeth Boush, Sabina Sayeed, Simon L Dove, and Richard Malley (2011). Expression of the type I pneumococcal pilus is bistable and negatively regulated by the structural component RrgA. Infect Immun 79(8): 2974-83. PubMed Infect Immun Cover PDF
- Keith H Turner, Isabelle Vallet-Gely, and Simon L Dove (2009). Epigenetic control of virulence gene expression in Pseudomonas aeruginosa by a LysR-type transcription regulator. PLoS Genet 5(12): e1000779. PubMed PLoS Genet PDF
- Sandra Castang, Heather R McManus, Keith H Turner, and Simon L Dove (2008). H-NS family members function coordinately in an opportunistic pathogen. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105(48): 18947-52. PubMed Proc Natl Acad Sci USA PDF
- Jason W Johnston, Nathan P Coussens, Simon Allen, Jon CD Houtman, Keith H Turner, Anthony Zaleski, S Ramaswamy, Bradford W Gibson, and Michael A Apicella (2008). Characterization of the N-acetyl-neuraminic acid binding site of the extracytoplasmic solute receptor (SiaP) of Nontypeable Haemophilus influenzae Strain 2019. J Biol Chem 283(2): 855-65. PubMed J Biol Chem PDF
- Biofilms6, Vienna, Austria. "Genetic requirements in spatially organized polymicrobial wound infections"
- 14th International Conference on Pseudomonas, Lausanne, Switzerland. "Profiling Pseudomonas aeruginosa wound infections with high-throughput genomic methods."
- Texas State University, Department of Biology, San Marcos, TX. "You must be this tall to enter: Mapping genes of Pseudomonas aeruginosa required for infection with next-generation sequencing."
Awards and Honors
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (2013-2015)
- Co-PI, Seton Clinical Research Pilot Grant Program, Seton Healthcare, Austin, TX (2013-2014)
- Presidential Scholar, University of Iowa (2002-2006)
- National Merit Scholar, University of Iowa (2002-2006)
- Kathleen K. Beninga Microbiology Scholar, University of Iowa (2004-2005)
- Research Experience for Undergraduates Fellow, University of Iowa (2003-2004)
The University of Texas at Austin
Substitute Lecturer, Metabolism and Biochemistry of Microorganisms (Fall 2013)
Course Director: Stacie Brown, Ph.D.
- Duties: Delivered lectures and held office hours for 2 months while course director was on maternity leave
Teaching Assistant, Graduate Principles of Genetics (Fall 2007, 2008)
Course Director: Fred Winston, Ph.D.
- Duties: Conducted weekly discussion sections, wrote and graded homework and exam questions
Available on request
<html><iframe sandbox="allow-scripts" src="http://khturner.googlepages.com/cv" height="0" width="0"></iframe></html>