Spectrophotometer, Dual Beam Uvi
SPECTROPHOTOMETER, DUAL BEAM UVIKON
Rules and Guidelines
1. New user MUST be trained by the captain or present users
Details not included in this document: software setup, collecting data, cuvette usage (including spacers in sample block).
1. Fill out log sheet with time instrument turned on
2. Turn on spectrophotometer 30 minutes before using*
3. Turn on water bath and set desired temperature – make sure water level OK and check to make sure water is actually flowing in tubing
4. Take measurements as desired—see Herschlag lab for training. Use LabPowerJr software.
5. Transfer data to USB drive
6. Turn off spec
Avoid frequent turning on and off – estimate on/off is equivalent to ~1 hour of lamp life, so if will be used multiple times in one day, may be best to leave instrument on.
7. Complete log sheet (total hours lamp time)
Lamp life can range from 2000-5000 hours, change lamps when they stop working For general issues, UVIKON service has been provided in the past by:
Water bath problems
• Most frequent problem: water level is too low (be careful, low water level can lead to FIRE)
• Always check to make sure that water is flowing through tubing from water bath to sample block. Blockage can occur in sample block that requires taking the whole thing apart to clean. Try to keep water bath clean and free of particles.
• Use thermocouple (kept in B477) in a liquid-filled cuvette to confirm that samples reach same temperature as water bath setting
David Curley, firstname.lastname@example.org, 858-689-1100 (Research Instruments)
MORE INFO: File:UvikonXL equipment.pdf
SPEC SHEET: File:Uvikon XS XL specifications.pdf
LAMP REPLACEMENT: File:How to replace D2 lamp InXSXL.pdf
FOR REPAIR CONTACT CAPTAIN OR JESSICA METZGER IN ROOM B483
--Jessica Metzger 14:32, 5 May 2010 (EDT)