- It is useful to have independent control of cellular physical quantities.
- Outline of a system for controlling the mean and variance of protein expression population distributions.
- Ozbudak EM, Thattai M, Kurtser I, Grossman AD, and van Oudenaarden A. Regulation of noise in the expression of a single gene. Nat Genet. 2002 May;31(1):69-73. DOI:10.1038/ng869 |
- Becskei A and Serrano L. Engineering stability in gene networks by autoregulation. Nature. 2000 Jun 1;405(6786):590-3. DOI:10.1038/35014651 |
- Swain PS. Efficient attenuation of stochasticity in gene expression through post-transcriptional control. J Mol Biol. 2004 Dec 3;344(4):965-76. DOI:10.1016/j.jmb.2004.09.073 |
- Smolke CD, Carrier TA, and Keasling JD. Coordinated, differential expression of two genes through directed mRNA cleavage and stabilization by secondary structures. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2000 Dec;66(12):5399-405.
- Carrier TA and Keasling JD. Library of synthetic 5' secondary structures to manipulate mRNA stability in Escherichia coli. Biotechnol Prog. 1999 Jan-Feb;15(1):58-64. DOI:10.1021/bp9801143 |
- Lamontagne B and Elela SA. Evaluation of the RNA determinants for bacterial and yeast RNase III binding and cleavage. J Biol Chem. 2004 Jan 16;279(3):2231-41. DOI:10.1074/jbc.M309324200 |
- for more on the ideas of independence and reachability, look into control theory. Richard Murray at Caltech is working on a text, which is online: Feedback Systems - An Introduction for Scientists and Engineers. Also, the idea of observability is interesting to think about, in terms of what cellular processes we can study and understand.
- Also, the slides are best viewed with the soundtrack of MC Hammer's U Can't Touch This, a thoughtful piece on man's ability to use tools (symbolically the hammer) to manipulate and understand nature.
- please leave comments or feedback here: -Kelsic
- "sweetness is my weakness" - MC Hammer / Tsbayer